Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I hope there are some north suburban moms out there who can help us out...

We live in the city right now, in Rogers Park. We love the neighborhood, but our local CPS elementary school is not a place I want to send DD1 in a year for kindergarten, and I don't want to subject her to tests/auditions at magnet or private schools (and I am not considering homeschooling). The bottom line is that we have to move before next fall. DH works in Northbrook, so we'd love to shorten his commute if we can.

We have been looking in Deerfield, and so far, I like the styles of houses we've seen. We can afford the housing there (just barely), and the schools are well-rated. My (and DH's) worry is that we'll be amidst folks who are considerably more wealthy than us, or -- and this is where I will try not to be judgemental, but probably will fail -- are a lot more "entitled" feeling than we are. For example, we had thought about moving to an area in Skokie we liked, but then we were at a park there and I sat and chatted for 30 minutes with other moms...and all they talked about was diets and plastic surgery and clothes. I am not kidding -- that was IT! I don't want that to be my world, and DH is concerned that Deerfield will be similar.

How will we pick a place with good schools, closer to DH's work, but without the affectations of wealth? I mean, we are comfortable, but also down-to-earth, grateful for what we have, not into shows of wealth, not into acquiring the latest greatest whatever...and we'd love to live among like-minded folks. Does anyone live in Deerfield or the surrounding area? Can you attest to the general feel of the place? I hope I'm totally wrong...

TIA!,

Debi

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Have you considered Evanston?

What I like about Evanston is that it is diverse in many ways. If you move into an area that has a high starting point for real estate and few rentals, you lose that (at least the economic diversity). People who move to rich areas TEND (I am generalizing) to want to live around other rich people. It's like a gated community without the gates. Of course, you will find people like yourself in absolutely any area, but you will have to search harder.

If schooling is the top reason you are moving, I would suggest actually going and visiting schools in areas you consider. Also, keep in mind that the scores tell very little of the quality of the school. The higher the SES of the area, the higher the scores is the general rule. You want to look at how much of the school is focused on achieving a high test score vs. learning, what kind of pressures/expectations there are for students. You want to look at the diversity of the student body and staff if that is important to you.

This site will give you an idea of how diverse the schools are that you consider:
http://iirc.niu.edu/

I looked up Deerfield and I think all the schools have 0% low income and over 90% white students.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Sorry for another post . . .just went and checked out the Deerfield prices. I guess the starting point isn't nearly as high as I would have thought-- I am surprised. At least you can get something for under 400K, which is the same as in Chicago on the north side. Much more reasonable than I would have expected.

I guess I'm thinking of places like Oak Brook . . .you can't get anything for under 600K.
:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Evanston is really nice; I used to live there pre-babies. You might also try Vernon Hills or Mundelein. Or Libertyville? They are a bit further north and slightly more west of the highway but are actually quite diverse communities and might have some more affordable housing than Deerfield, Riverwoods or the North Shore communities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if I am too late responding. But, we moved a year ago to the Ravinia neighborhood of Highland Park- I know.. Highland Park has a reputation of being kind of- shall I say- snobby? But, we tried looking for something in Evanston and couldn't find anything, and then we found this enclave here. It is very affordable, and the people in this neighborhood are very down to earth- the schools are great, and we can walk to Ravinia. Just my two cents. My DH works in Northbrook as well- and the commute is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiralmg
Evanston is really nice; I used to live there pre-babies. You might also try Vernon Hills or Mundelein. Or Libertyville? They are a bit further north and slightly more west of the highway but are actually quite diverse communities and might have some more affordable housing than Deerfield, Riverwoods or the North Shore communities.
Mundeline's schools are not nearly as good as Vernon Hills'. I dont' know about Libetyville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.