Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Italian grandfather used to buy us a snack as kids. They were salted chick peas (chie chie) but they were hard and we ate them like nuts. I assuming that they were not raw beans. I can't find them this way anywhere. He got them at Italian grocery stores in NYC. How do you suppose they were prepared-roasted maybe or cooked then roasted.
They were so yummy and what a great grab and go source of protein.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've tried to make them but failed. I cooked beans and then put them in the oven with oil and spices. I baked them for 40 minutes or so and they were starting to burn, but they didn't really get hard. They were tasty, but not crunchy. I'd love it if someone knew a way to make this work....

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
We make these and the kids LOVE them!

2 cups cooked chick-peas, drained and blotted dry (we use canned usually)
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each: salt (omit if canned have salt), black pepper, ground cumin, ground corriander
1/4 teasponn cayenne (we omit w/kids)

1. Preheat to 400F
2. Toss the chickpeas w/ oil and salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Spread them on a non-stick baking sheet (I just use parchment paper) and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

They're soooo yummy! Of course you can alter the seasonings with whatever you have on hand. BTW-they don't keep well, they'll be soggy the next day, but I *think* you can reheat them in the oven to get them crispy again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.