celery
onion
brown rice
and assorted spices

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I don't have a recipe per se. But here's what I'd do:
1. I'd cook the onions in some butter or oil, until they're starting to get soft. Then I'd add the carrots and celery and turn the heat up a bit so they brown just the tiniest bit.

2. Put them aside. Put the chicken in the pot in some oil and brown it on all sides. Then add the onions and veggies you put aside, and cover it all with water. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down and let it simmer an hour or two, until the meat is falling off the bones. About fifteen minutes before it's done, add some dill, some parsley, and as much salt and pepper as you think you'll like.

3. Take the chicken out. Pick off all the meat and cut it up, and add it back to the soup. (if it's a whole chicken, find a toddler or preschooler to play wishbone with!
) Cook some rice separately and add that. Then thicken the soup by putting some cold water in a little jar with a tight lid and adding some flour or corn starch to it. Shake it vigorously until all the flour is "dissolved," and add it to the soup and let it cook a few minutes. Taste, and salt/pepper more as you need to.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm...well im wingin it. LOL!

i did sautee the veggies and chicken together, then covered it in water, then boiled it all togetehr with bayleaf, pepercorns and poultry spice.....

then i took out the chicken and strained the broth, and now i added a little more water to it, and 1 1/2 cups of rice, more celery, and carrots, and garlic and the shredded chicken.....do you think that it will be ok if i cook the rice in the actual soup?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I usually cook the rice separately just because I have a hard time figuring out how much to put in, and I don't want the soup to be choked with too much rice. So I cook it separately so I can hold some back if I need to.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL! that is what im afraid of......i went to go check on it and it looks like an awful lot of rice......oh well i guess ill know better next time.

I sweari have made this before, but i just cant remember how i did it..

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
LOL! that is what im afraid of......i went to go check on it and it looks like an awful lot of rice......oh well i guess ill know better next time.

I sweari have made this before, but i just cant remember how i did it..
If it is too much, just add some more water and more salt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.