Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Last week, i made "Creamy Chicken Curry" from the Fix It & Forget It recipe book. And to my great surprise, my husband loved it! He ate Curry!

But.....i am not crazy about the cream of mushroom soup i had to use as the "base"....i then added 1-2 teaspoons of curry powder and 1/2 cup mayo, gross sounding right?

Do any of you have suggestions on how to make this, easy of course? I had a can of coconut milk that i was going to add, but got scared....can you cook coconut milk for a long period of time like in a crock pot?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I am hardly an expert because we just got a crock pot for christmas and have never used it, but one of the curry recipes that I have for a crock pot cooks the coconut milk the whole time. When I make faux chicken curry with coconut milk (Ayam Lemak), I add the coconut milk when the fire is on low or off because I was told it could curdle. I have never had it curdle- in fact, when I make rice, I put coconut milk in the ricemaker the whole time, and it is absorbed nicely into the rice. I think it is worth a try to put it in with the chicken- should be good.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Each time I make it, it varies depending on what veggies I have, but here is a generalization. I soften onions in a skillet with my spices (currently, curry powder because I have been lazy). Then I add our faux chicken (seitan) and garlic. In a separate pan, I cook potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, zuchini, mushrooms, tomato, and cabbage in veggie broth until all are tender (I rarely have this many on hand and califlower and broccholi also work nice). I add the onion seitan mix after the onions are soft and seitan has some crisp texture. After potatoes are soft, I add coconut milk (1/4th of a can). If I went too wild with the spices, and the coconut does not mellow the spices, I add a bit of garam masala. Yogurt with cucumber is nice when it is too spicey too- you can add these cold when serving. We use the rest off the coconut milk to make rice. we use 3/4 can plus 1 and 1/2 cup water for 1 and 1/2 cup of basmati rice, plus less than 1 tsp salt. Chaptis would also go nice with this curry.

I think this could go in a crock pot, but I would cook the onions and spices together before adding to the crock to bring out their flavors. I don't know how you do the chicken part because I have never cooked one, but I figure you have experience with that part. I hope it makes a really tastey dinner!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why coconut milk?.....Because It reminds me of Thai food. It tastes yummy when blended with curry also

To be honest, i haven't looked at the nutritional value. OK, i am looking at the can now (Thai Kitchen)....high in fat, 4g carbs, 2g sugar, 0% VitC, Vit A, less than 2% Calcium and 3% Iron.

Melissa, I have printed your recipe, thank you so much!

I once had a soup with eggplant, lentils, red curry, coconut milk...mmmmm
, and i lost the recipe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.