Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moon mountain mama View Post
anyone have a recipe. My family is craving it. We had roasted chicken last night now we have left overs.. Anyone have a recipe?
I'd love to hear a good one too. A favorite as a child.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Do you mean the type of dumplings that is a biscuit steamed on top of the stew, or the type that's more like a wide, thick, squarish noodle cooked in a soupier liquid? (The first kind is what I think of as dumplings, but I understand in some parts of the country it means the second.) The recipe cristeen posted looks good, but I make it often on any type of stew - beef, lamb, chicken, rabbit (which I'm actually making tonight). I use sprouted flour to make the dumplings. Here's the recipe I use for our family of 4 on top of a big pot of stew. You want a pretty wet stew for this, the dumplings soak up a good amount of liquid.

2 cups sprouted flour (wheat or spelt)
4 teaspoons non-aluminum baking powder (you can probably get away with 3 tsp., they might just be a little less fluffy)
1 tsp. salt
other seasonings of your choice, I like a bit of onion powder, dill and parsley
1 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil or other liquid fat (melted butter, CNO, bacon fat, etc.)

When the stew is finished cooking, make the dumpling dough. Combine dry ingredients and optional seasonings, add milk and liquid fat, stir just until moistened, drop by spoonfuls on top of bubbling stew, put on the lid and let simmer for 15 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.