Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, is 18 months too young to get th pox safely?<br><br>
If no, what is the best way to assure exposure?<br><br>
I ran into a guy at the park today-- american. Then his wife called and said that their daughter was not over the chicken pox, so they sent her home from school.<br><br>
He had a son about the same age as Alex, who had the pox-- already healed up.<br><br>
But is it too early for Alex? We are going over there for a chicken pox party in a hour! What do I do? Air exposure? Sippy cups?<br><br>
I hate being in another time zone!!! No one is on the board right now!!! I need help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think sharing lollypops would work. Did I read that in Mothering?<br><br>
BTW I had the chicken pox and 2 and again at 13. The 2nd time the dr said that when you get it that young sometimes its not enough to keep from getting it again. That just what I remember him saying....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just my 2 cents -<br>
Chickenpox is most contaigious before the pox actually appear (during the stage when it is presenting as the onset of a cold). (Per my boss, an MD and immunology researcher) But pox parties can work - I went to one as a child. However, as another poster mentioned, I got them twice. The first was the result of the pox party when I was ~2, but my mom says I had minimal poxmarks. It must not have been enough to confer immunity - I got them again when I was in 2nd grade - a full blown but relativly moderate case.<br>
Good luck - my dd is in daycare and per state law must have the pox or the vaccine by 18 months..if I could only find some chicken pox soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts