Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has the chicken pox.
My other two will likely have it in the next few days, as well. I live about 30 minutes from Madison. I thought I'd post this in case anyone was hoping for natural exposure rather than through the vax.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Yay for you!

Can anyone fill me in how much of a window we have for exposure and how long until the symptoms appear?

My husband is leaving the country this week and then traveling again for business the first week of April. I don't want to be handling two kids with Chicken Pox all by myself!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Just found the info on Wikipedia and discussed with dh --

Wikipedia reports that your dc will be contagious for 5-10 days (starting 2 days prior to pox outbreak), and once a child has been exposed the pox develops between 10-21 days. Does this sound accurate?

The timing for us is especially bad. Is anyone planning to expose their kids now and maybe I can hit the "second wave"? If I could expose my kids in a couple of weeks, rather this this one, my husband would be home to help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ooooo! I was just hoping for a pox party! Which direction form Madcity are you? East perhaps! And do you all know when is a good age to expose kids to chicken pox? My kiddos are 4 1/2 yr, 3 yrs, and twin 11 mo olds. My 4 yr old was vax'd but I'm hoping he's succeptable again by now!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The doctor suggested exposing my oldest (and therefore the rest) before he started school in the fall. I questioned if my youngest was too young (he was 9 mos. at the time) and she thought since he was healthy, he'd be fine. She said I could wait until he was 1 yr. if I wanted. He's almost 15 mos. now and I think, he'll do okay.
BTW--I'm between Madison and Spring Green (so, NW.)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thanks so much, Tania!

If your dd develops chicken pox, please let us know. Are you hoping that they get it at the same time or staggered timing? Not sure which is better. Hope your ds is feeling well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, my youngest doesn't seem to really have the chicken pox...whatever I saw last night disappeared today. So, I'll have to keep watching him.
My dd doesn't have any yet either.

My oldest has a good case of them...

I was hoping to have them all done at the same time, but that might not be how it ends up. (We had plans for spring break in three weeks.)

I'll keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.