Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these still exist? How does one go about finding them? I am asking for my daughter. We live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. My grandson just turned two :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
She's been doing so for a couple months now but so far no luck. Is chickenpox becoming that uncommon now??
In my area, mid Atlantic coast US, it is extremely uncommon. My last child who got chicken pox is 21, now. I arranged it because her brother was due (he's 18) and I didn't want to have a newborn and a toddler with pox. So, when I heard there was some going around, I borrowed a child to come lick things. She had a good case, for which I was thankful, but the three younger children are still at risk.

As someone who had chickenpox at 17, and was sick and miserable, I hope she can find some. ❤

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
She's been doing so for a couple months now but so far no luck. Is chickenpox becoming that uncommon now??
You might have to be patient. I see you are in Canada - and while I cannot speak for AB, chicken pox does circulate infrequently in ON. I think chicken pox vaccination is slightly lower in Canada than the USA. This might be changing, though. In the past 15 years I have known of 3 separate outbreaks in our local area and DD did indeed catch chicken pox (her older brother and sister had it as very young children in BC). So...you may find it, but keeping an eye out might mean years as opposed to months. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Also - if you do locate a child with chicken pox - be sure to spend some time with him or her. Exposure to chicken pox, assuming you have had chicken pox, gives you an immune boost (if you will) and decreases the likelihood you will get shingles.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
Chickenpox can also be caught by exposure to someone with shingles. I think the contact has to be a bit closer, but I've heard of children coming down with chickenpox after exposure to a grandparent (for example) who had shingles.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no luck. Thanks for the info about me spending time with them too - hadn't even thought about that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts