Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (2 1/2) got the chicken pox vax. I really regret doing this but it is something I have to live with.<br><br>
My question is, when I had the shingles this summer, his MD said that Jackson's exposure to it was a good thing b/c it would boast his natural immunity to the chicken pox.<br><br>
Well, one of my closest friend's daughters just broke out in the chicken pox. I am really tempted to take him over there today and expose him again.<br><br>
I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with this?<br><br>
I would appreciate any information.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
794 Posts
exposure to chicken pox will benefit him in the future, as it will build his immunity and work to keep shingles at bay. however, know that just because he has received the vax, doesnt' mean he can't get chicken pox.<br><br>
i haven't read official numbers, but i have heard that vaccinated kids still have a 50-50 chance of getting it, the vax just makes the case not as severe. (if you have someone more official, please post i am interested in reading).<br><br>
if i were in your situation, i would expose him.<br><br>
kris

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Leah122333</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">his MD said that Jackson's exposure to it was a good thing b/c it would boast his natural immunity to the chicken pox.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
The only way to contract chicken pox from a person with shingles is contact with the fluid from the shingles blister. A person with shingles cannot transmit the virus by breathing or coughing; it spreads only from the rash.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I heard from a very pro-vax person that the CP vaccine has a 20% failure rate. I'm hoping DS is in that 20% group so in about five years, we will be hunting down CP for natural immunity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>LongIsland</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">The only way to contract chicken pox from a person with shingles is contact with the fluid from the shingles blister. A person with shingles cannot transmit the virus by breathing or coughing; it spreads only from the rash.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Jackson actually had contact with the blisters (I did not know it was shingles at the time, I thought it was just an irritation from my bra).<br><br>
Where on Long Island are you? I live in Westchester County but my husband is from Great Neck.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Leah122333</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Jackson actually had contact with the blisters (I did not know it was shingles at the time, I thought it was just an irritation from my bra).<br><br>
Where on Long Island are you? I live in Westchester County but my husband is from Great Neck.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
I used to work in Great Neck while I was in college, right near the train station! I live on the other side of the island on the south shore, but still in Nassau County.<br><br>
It's been a couple of days since your initial post -- have you exposed your son to your friend's children?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts