Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my almost 2 year old is partially vaccinated. We stopped around a year old and I hope to resume when he's closer to 3. I was wondering how likely it would be that my son avoids chicken pox naturally before that time? I might decide not to vaccinate but would rather avoid natural infection until he is school age. Is that realistic? Can he catch it from passive exposure on a playground or beach? Back when chicken pox was inevitable, I don't recall anyone getting if outside of daycare or school. Just curious. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Lots of people look for chicken pox and have trouble finding it. I say the odds are in your favour.

I am pretty sure my youngest picked up chicken pox from a park at age 10. Her cousin (who is vaxxed!) also got chicken pox at the same time, and that is the only place they went together.

You can look up rates of chicken pox - but do keep in mind many cases of chicken pox are unreported.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I can't really answer how likely it is because there's too many variables. My big kids got chicken pox at a play date with a friend, none of them were in school or daycare yet. The disease itself was not bad, they didn't seem to be too sick. At the end though they both had complications. My oldest had secondary infections and my middle had varicella pneumonia. Both ended up being fine but my youngest will be vaccinated for it asap. Today actually if all goes well. :)

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Well, if we are swapping anecdotes: Everyone in my family of five has had the chicken pox, and no one had any complications. With my youngest and oldest, they have had colds that were more annoying than the chicken pox. Really - total breeze. I have never met anyone who has had a serious complication from the chicken pox (although two adults report it being not fun to get it as adults).

I suggest you take a look at the CDC pink book, page 22 and 23 for an idea of how common complications are - or aren't.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/varicella.pdf

Good luck in your decision!

kathy

·
Registered
18,838 Posts
I had chickenpox along with my two older brothers back around 1953. No complications. My daughter had it in the 70s. No complications. My grandchildren had it a few years ago. No complications.

Even nowadays when it has become "deadly" due to the vaccine, complications are fairly rare.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
All three of my chlildren have had chicken pox. DD1 was 4.5, she was in pre-school and had it at the same time as her best friend. This was in pre-vaccine era and everyone expected to get it. It was mild and she had no complications.

I exposed DD2 and DS1 when they were 6 and 4 respectively. DD caught it, she was unusally cranky for a couple of days, no fever and then broke out in spots, I would say she had a mild case, but she was itchy. DS caught them from his sister. Often a child that is exposed by living, in close, prolonged contact with someone who has chicken pox will have a more severe case (by severe I don't mean they will have complications, just more spots), but in DS's case he wasn't even sick, so it took me a couple of days to realize he had chicken pox, I noticed a few spots on his tummy. He ended up with a "healthy" amount of spots, and was itchy but was never ill with them.

There were two outbreaks while they were in two seperate schools, and the chicken pox did not discriminate between the vaxxed and non-vaxxed. Nor did the vaccine seem to be an indication of which kids had mild case or a more severe one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks....so if he got it from a really brief encounter, it might be more mild? My state had higher than usual school/daycare outbreaks. Small risk when compared to the overall amount of school kids but surprising given that mayoclinic calls CP "rare". I really wanted to hold off on the vaccine a little longer. I want to see how his immune system holds out this winter. He got sick a lot during the spring despite being home a lot. I'm not taking chances if CP is rare and/or takes a fair amount of contact to transmit. Ahhhhh decisions! How do you know if a child is healthy enough for live vaccines? Is it safe to assume that even immune compromised kids can handle the vaccine? I haven't heard of anyone dying from the vaccine so I really want to get it over with but our ped doesn't help clear up my worries.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
My kids were exposed to both the natural chickenpox and vaccine induced chickenpox and neither caught it. They have never been vaccinated for it and are now in their teens.

I would not go near the combined MMR-V vaccine. And if I were to give the varicella vaccine, I would not give it with or anywhere near other vaccines.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
How do you know if a child is healthy enough for live vaccines? Is it safe to assume that even immune compromised kids can handle the vaccine? I haven't heard of anyone dying from the vaccine so I really want to get it over with but our ped doesn't help clear up my worries.- you won't because that info is hard to find VARES
Have you spoken to your MD?

No it's not safe to assume and one would really need to know what type of "compromise" you are dealing with - there are many types! Not only cancer!

more on contradictions - http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/hcp-contraindications.htm

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/197/Supplement_2/S197.full

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
hello

I just wanted to say that both of my kids are not vaccinated for chicken pox. I was searching to expose them and was not able to. Two years ago my then 11 year old ended up coming down with chicken pox exactly two weeks after our trip to Disney world :grin:. It happened on a Friday night that i saw a few spots, and he had a fever. Of course the following Monday I kept both kids home and notified the school knowing my 9 year old would also be excluded. My 11 year old was back at school the following Monday and my 9 year old came down with it exactly two weeks after the 11 year old (on a Friday night). She only missed a week of school as well. As a matter of fact the following Thursday she was completely crusted up and ready to go and we went in for her conference that night and the nurse approved her for school Friday.

In other words... you may have to wait, but its out there!

Edited to add, the 9 year old missed 3 weeks of school all together!!

·
Registered
18,838 Posts
Disneyland...the place to go to catch infectious childhood illnesses. Not public or private schools :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disney is getting a reputation isn't it? ;) It's so congested. I feel like I'm surrounded by sweat and germs when I'm there. Not surprised that it's a petri dish. That measles outbreak was relatively small all things considered. People all over the world visit the Florida and Cali locations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts