Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An acquaintance I know told me that if your dr gives you a big enough dose of the varicella vax, then you can be immune for life, rather than the 5-10 years. I have no idea where she got her info (her dr I imagine), but it doesn't sound like credible info to me, but I didn't want to call her out on it w/out info to back it up. I looked on the cdc website, but I couldn't find the info (imagine that!), so if somebody can find info that it either is or isn't true, that would be great. TIA!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good point - I didn't think to make her prove it
But I do think she'll say "But that is what my dr told me!" (so he must be right) and not have a link or something. That is why I'd like something to show her no, it's not true otherwise I think we'll just agree to disagree because neither of us has credible info.

Also, I'm thinking she (or her source) may have meant multiple doses, rather than one larger dose.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
maybe she's talking about the "dose" of varicella that comes on a popsicle...
otherwise, it seems to be impossible to test a vax that's supposed to be good for life when the vax has been around for about 20 years. unless they used a time machine to go 60 years into the future and catch up with the kids who originally got the vax and tested their titres.
my 19 year old sister got the CP vax when she was 6 or so. i'd love to convince her to get her titres checked.... (i'm just starting to work on her with the whole alternative medicine stuff. she had no clue that results in a "scientific" study are swayed by who paid for the study.)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about multiple doses? Would there be "better" or longer immunity if you received multiple doses (I assume the suggested is one dose?). Everything I've read about multiple doses (which I admit, isn't a whole lot yet, I've only been doing research for a few months) is that the second (or 3rd or 4th) is to catch those that didn't get immune at all the first time. I've seen nothing that says you have a longer immunity.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Wellll..... if we're to assume that there is SOME immunity to be gained with the vaccine (possibly questionable) THEN sure, as long as you get a booster ever 10 years, you'll be protected for life

:

-Angela

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Your friend is a crazy person who apparently believes anything anyone tells her. That's the only explanation I can come up with for saying anything so ignorant. The vaccine doesn't come in different dosages, and doctors don't give multiple vaccines to the same child to equal a larger dose. They have recently recommended a booster varicella, but that won't give lifelong immunity either. You aren't going to find specific information to refute what your friend has said, because it's so crazy that no one bothered to write up that study. It would be like looking for information to refute the argument that megadoses of tylenol prevent toenail fungus - no one has done a study to refute that, because it's just too stupid.

I agree with the PP - tell her to prove that to you. It's not your job to prove anything to her.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, that all makes sense. I'll let you know what she says in respsonse.

Quote:
Wellll..... if we're to assume that there is SOME immunity to be gained with the vaccine (possibly questionable) THEN sure, as long as you get a booster ever 10 years, you'll be protected for life
I kinda have to laugh at your post, sounds like fighting fire with fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts