Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to place my order for my chickens from the McMurrary hatchery. I dont vax my DS, and I'm not really into vaxing my birds...but I wondered if anyone here has had the hatchery vax their birds. Do I really need to do it? They seem completely unecessary, but I wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My mother and I raise chickens for meat and eggs. We have never had them vaxed, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You might want to do Marek's vax, just because if they aren't bred for resistance (& hatchery flocks aren't), some strains of chickens can have really high mortality (as in, most of them become paralyzed at 3 months old). But it's really easy to get resistance/immunity w/in 3 gen., so w/home bred birds I never vax, just feed them right, keep them clean, & cull anything that looks sickly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've never gotten my chicks vaxed. Unless you have a huge flock in crowded conditions you really won't have health issues. Keep the coop clean (as much as you can with chickens crapping constantly) and dry, fresh food and water, and space to roam and they will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts