Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering just how careful I need to be while collecting eggs/handling backyard chickens while pregnant. (Waiting to find out, right now...)
Is salmonella really a huge concern? We have seven chickens, one of whom was injured by the others and is currently living in the house with us until she heals up. Can I just wash my hands well and not worry about it too much?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban-farm-news/2010/09/03/salmonella-free-eggs.aspx

I don't worry about salmonella in our flock. Ducks and chickens. We keep a pretty clean barnyard area(also have goats) and we do wash our hands after handling animals and before eating. Our rooster got attacked by a raccoon and had toes amputated a month ago and being that it was in the heat of the summer and flies were a massive concern, he was living in my apartment for the first week. I didn't really worry too much about contamination but I did throw away the blankets we used in the box he was kept in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figure as long as I keep things clean & wash hands, I should be OK. Hope your little Roo is OK, ouch!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Stinking '*****! I never thought twice about chickens in pregnancy. Keep away from the cat box. And keep them mean '***** away from the chickens. I've had '**** problems before too. I no longer can see them as cute.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We've had +-60 chickens for the past 8 years, three pregnancies, and none of us have EVER had salmonella. Just wash your hands like usual, keep the coop clean, should all be fine :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts