Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just was curious if anyone is in the same situation as me.

i have a 2.75 year old dd. i pick her up from her dads place after i get off work. he picks her up from daycare/preschool. when she sees me she NEVER wants to go home. at first i was a bit upset till i realised going home meant going to bed.

she instead wants to go to a park and play or visit other neighbourhood children or go to a store.

esp. more so now that the days are longer.

can anyone relate to this?

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is totally age appropriate behavior. My daughter did this when she was about 18 months - 2 years, almost everyday I picked her up from my Mom's house after I was done with my classes. She would cry and cry that she didn't want to leave Grandma's house. But then as soon as we drove away she was fine.

Thankfully I was taking child development couses to become a Preschool Teacher, and I knew not to take it personally. It was actually comforting for me to know that she was so attached to my Mom. Uh- oh, my baby needs me, got to go get her to bed.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I agree with dreadmama- totally age appropriate. This is not the exact same but I'll throw it out there anyway. I watch my almost 3 year old half sister (she'll be 3 at the end of July) everyday, at her house. Every single day when mom comes home she screams *no mama. GO AWAY! Go to WORK Mama!*, or some version of that. It's not that she doesn't love her mom, nor does she love me more. It's that she knows she's going to have to start calming down, eat dinner, and go to bed when her mom comes home. When I'm with her anything goes- we play, paint (her new favorite thing to do- at almost 3 mom had never bought her any paints! I bought some and let her and my DS paint and she was just so thrilled, talked about it for days), we go for walks. And if both mom and I are there in the morning when sis wakes up (most of the time she doesn't wake until after mom leaves) then she's going to have a rough morning. She doesn't transition well. Yesterday morning I got the "GO AWAY!", though as soon as mom left she was happy to be with me again.

Is there any way you can stop at a park on the way home and let her play for a few minutes? Or maybe the library? I'm not sure what time you pick her up at, but it might be one way to transition her between houses. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do stop at a park or library or friends house. so she gets to play some. i dont mind that. i was just trying to see if other kids did that too, and being a single mom i was wondering if it was common with us or with all kids with two parents too.

dreadmama, i took a few infant toddler ECE classes too. i dont know how i could have been a parent without them.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
My oldest (7.5 years) does this when I pick him up from my parents' after work. He's past the tantrum throwing stage, but still tries to negotiate more time, etc. If you can spare the time to stop by a park or library on the way home, it'll go a long way to making the transition easier.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
DD (2.25) does this - she LOVES her family daycare, and does not want to go home and will cry. It has not really upset me 'cause I was expecting it. I am actually pleased that she is so attached to her "Mommy Mina" who watches her all day!

·
Registered
962 Posts
See, I have an opposite of this.
Trystan loves his dcps (they've been with him since he was 10 weeks old), he has great fun there, learns alot, has friends and just a wonderful time, but the second I show up, he drops everything and RUNS for me, yelling, "Momma! Mom! Mommy!"
He'll even start crying for no reason, or if he sees me park my car and I don't come right up, he gets extremely upset.
But he is also the kid who hates crowds - we can't get through a single shopping trip without him having at least one crying fit, demanding that we go, "Home! Home, Momma, HOME!"
My lil oddball.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
the title of your post caught my eye...which led me into this forum.

My kid does this ALL the freakin' time. Whether mom picks up, dad picks up, both pick up, etc. She cries "don't wanna go home" and runs to the top bunk of dcp's daughter's bed.

It sometimes helps us to spend 5-10 minutes letting her transition. It totally helps when dcp's kids want to walk erin to the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts