Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,1485959.story

Quote:
A 13-year-old Orange County boy beat his 8-year-old brother to death over dessert, deputies said.

Demetrius Key told Orange County deputy sheriffs that he kicked, punched and choked his brother, Levares, on Saturday afternoon because he was upset that the younger boy ate a dessert he was not supposed to have had.

Demetrius was watching his brother and several other siblings at the time and said he was worried he would be blamed for the infraction and also for a scab that Levares had picked until it bled.

My first thought is that there was some abuse going on in this home, that the 13 year old was so scared of whatever punishment he might receive.

Regardless, it's horrible. I hope the home is seriously investigated though.

:

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh gosh it just got sicker.

http://www.wftv.com/news/14268642/detail.html

Quote:
Deputies arrested the mother of an 8-year-old boy, who was allegedly beaten to death by his 13-year-old brother, late Thursday morning and charged her with child neglect. The victim's 13-year-old brother has already been charged with first-degree murder.

While Tangela Key has been charged with child neglect more charges are likely, investigators said Thursday. Investigators said they have learned that Tangela Key had other children participate in discipline sessions involving 8-year-old Lavares, who died on Saturday. Investigators said she had previously instructed her other children to hold down the boy's arms and legs while she beat him.
I am not sure what should be done with the 13 year old. Is it really "first degree murder" if he was both taught to do this by authority figures, AND was doing it to protect his own hide? I am not so sure.

Those poor kids.

·
Registered
958 Posts
What a horrible thing... I was listening to the gaurdians (of the 8 year old) interview and she stated that she knows this 13 year old and he did not mean to do this, and that the mother should be held accountable. And I agree with her, this boy needs help. These kids were abused, all of them, she never even raised this child that died till this summer, if thats what you want to call it. She used to ask the kids to hold him down and she would beat him. She needs to go to prison!

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
I am not sure what should be done with the 13 year old. Is it really "first degree murder" if he was both taught to do this by authority figures, AND was doing it to protect his own hide? I am not so sure.

Those poor kids.
I agree. I think the 13 year old needs major counseling and love... not being sent off to jail for the rest of his life. He's going to have enough to deal with knowing he killed his brother along with whatever harm his Mom has inflicted upon him through the years.

I feel for all of those children.
:

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.wftv.com/news/14259483/detail.html

From the sound of it he (the 8 year old) was raised by another woman until June. Then he went to visit his birth mother and she never brought him back, hiding him in her house.

She left the 13 year old watching him and 5 other kids. Then he was beaten.

Quote:
Residents of the Beach Club Apartments said Tangela Key, the boy's biological mother, even tried to keep them from calling 911 as the boy slowly died of a massive head wound, the final blow ending a months-long nightmare for the boy.
It's a slight relief that it sounds he was loved up until a few months ago. Poor kids.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I should SO not have read this.. I'll never get to sleep now
That child needs all the counselling money can buy... and that 'mother' needs to rot in the darkest dankest rat infested hole that can be found.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I agree. I think the 13 year old needs major counseling and love... not being sent off to jail for the rest of his life. He's going to have enough to deal with knowing he killed his brother along with whatever harm his Mom has inflicted upon him through the years.

I feel for all of those children.
:
: So heartbreaking
:

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
If he/they are around and knew about it they should be punished also. But him/them are not mentioned in any articles. So yes the words would be focus towards the mom. Also the kids are says SHE had them hold the boy down so she could dicipline (beat) him.
Oh, I'm quite aware that there's no mention of him in the articles.

So no parenting is so much better than bad parenting? I don't know, really. Maybe if he had been in the picture this wouldn't have happened. Maybe it would have been worse. Who knows.

But I do think that some of the blame belongs to him. I'm not sure if it's 50/50, 70/30, or what, but Mother isn't the only one responsible for raising children.

And god help this boy to have a normal life, cuz I'm not sure I see that.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post
Oh, I'm quite aware that there's no mention of him in the articles.

So no parenting is so much better than bad parenting? I don't know, really. Maybe if he had been in the picture this wouldn't have happened. Maybe it would have been worse. Who knows.

But I do think that some of the blame belongs to him. I'm not sure if it's 50/50, 70/30, or what, but Mother isn't the only one responsible for raising children.

And god help this boy to have a normal life, cuz I'm not sure I see that.
For alls we no him/them do not know that they are fathers or those kids father/s.

You have little control of what is happening in someones else house. I wouldn't want getting to blame the other parent when the other parent isn't living there. The other parent could be 1000 miles away fighting war. The other parent could be so many things. But since it wasn't in their home under their care it isn't their fault.

What if the case was the children were on visitation and this happen at the father's home is the mother to blame for not preventing it? You know should just could of hid the kid/s.

Why not blame the neighbors or the other relitives. They had to notice something wasn't right.

How about blaming the god-mother because she hadn't been able to reclaim the child or she decided that bio-mom should have him now? From the reports I read bio-mom didn't have legal custody of this child.

What if this happened at day care? If the parents were there it wouldn't have happened??? So it is their fault for choosing a bad day care.

You run into a problem of blamming the parent/gardian/et that isn't there. There are exceptions to the rules. Like when a parent knowingly/willingly ignores the abuse of the other parent/adult.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I wish I didn't read these stories either. It is sooo sad. And to think that there are wonderful women posting on MDC worried that they are not good moms........

I wish everykid in the world had a wonderful family and a loving atmosphere to grow up in.....
:

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
The other parent could be so many things. But since it wasn't in their home under their care it isn't their fault.
It's nice to know that every single custodial parent here is solely responsible for everything that happens to their children, and that the fathers bear no responsibility as long as it's not in their house.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.