Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to move to a new state. Do individual states have laws that put a time limit on nursing? My son is almost four and although I tend to be private about him still nursing I want to know if we could get in trouble. Hope this isn't a really dumb question.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As far as I know, no. Most breastfeeding legistlature, if not all, is to protect breastfeeding not ban it. I couldn't find anything on the LLL website.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I've never heard of breastfeeding to any age being a legit issue for legal action. Now in a divorce, it can become a point of contention if the other parent is being an ass.

Even in that case in Illinois a few years back, the judge declared that her son's nursing was not the problem.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
It is absolutely legal to breastfeed your child as long as you both desire. It is absolutely impossible for the law the limit such choices. How would they enforce it? The only legislation in regards to breastfeeding is that 42 of 50 states have laws in places protecting women's rights to breastfeed in public.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
is this true when you reach 4, 5, 6 years or beyond?
I thought I heard of a case where a child was taken away from his mother bc she was bfing him and he was 7.

as much as I worry about it (mildly worried...) I never lie about our bfing status, and, in fact, often broadcast it for no reason

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
I thought I heard of a case where a child was taken away from his mother bc she was bfing him and he was 7.

as much as I worry about it (mildly worried...) I never lie about our bfing status, and, in fact, often broadcast it for no reason
Well, much like it is legal to UC, not vax or not take your children to the doctor, breastfeeding well into childhood is legal. However, if someone calls CPS on you for something, they may use it against you but it seems unlikely to me.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter

Yes, it did happen. A child was taken away from his mother. He was 7 or 8. He had been weaned for sometime and then started up again. Eventually he was returned on the terms that she would no longer BF. Sorry I dont know anymore

I know there was a case on Judging Amy. The boy was 6 and the episode was ridiculous. Of course the mom was a freak who couldnt let go. She pumped milk for his school thermos.
@@

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There was a case that I believe I saw at MDC, some time ago. It was on a thread about CPS nightmare stories. The mama's children had been taken away (temporarily) because she took some nursing photos of her preschoolers (4 and 2?) to be developed and the photo developer employee thought they were evidence of sexual abuse and turned them into CPS, who opened an investigation.

The mama got her kids back, of course, but talk about a nightmare...it gave me chills. You might try doing a search, 'cause I think this was on MDC. But I don't remember what forum so it might be a little difficult.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies mamas. I know that occasionally you hear about a case like the ones mentioned. Seems to me that could happen to any nursing mama anywhere in the country. I was really concerned if there are specific state laws related to nursing an older child (4,5,6).

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as I know (which I feel very sure on this) is that you can breastfeed for as long as you and your child wants. (I guess the court is smart enough to realize that you can't "force" a child to nurse-that's just silly-it's a totally mutual thing.) But I do know someone who's sister or SIL (can't remember) had her kids taken away because they would not take them to the doctor. And do you guys remember that news story where the preteen got cancer, serious treatment was advised, the parents stalled (turns out they were weighing the treatment options) and their sick daughter got taken away. OH it was awful!! Anyways you can lose your kids for not taking them to the doctor. And I think in some states you can only legally not vax your kids if you have a medical exemption (I may be wrong about this one but every state is different on it).

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogcatcher
Anyways you can lose your kids for not taking them to the doctor. And I think in some states you can only legally not vax your kids if you have a medical exemption (I may be wrong about this one but every state is different on it).
You cannot lose your kids because you don't go to well child visits. If a child is sick and you don't seek treatment when you need it, your child can be taken. If you decline the treatment the doctors think you need, and CPS agrees with the doctors, they can unfortunately take your child. They cannot, however, remove a child from the home for not going to the doctor for check-ups.

And vaccinating is not a requirement in any state, ever. In MS and WV, you can't send a child to school without vaccines unless that child has a medical exemption. However, if you choose to homeschool, your child does not have to be vaccinated. Every other state allows you to attend school without vaccinating if you claim a religious exemption. 18 states also allow a philosophical exemption. Vaccines are not required for anything but school, and your children cannot be taken from you for refusal to vaccinate.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I too have worried about this from time to time. It seems like there are always going to be these strange cases where a child is unnecessarily taken away for some reason. We shouldn't change our ways because we are scared. I still breastfeed my 40 month old in public. I will do it in public as long as he asks to nurse in public. I feel like if I refuse in public, he will get the idea that there is something wrong with it. I go out of my way to make sure that he feels like nursing is normal. The way I look at it is that if it's something I only do behind closed doors, then maybe there is reason for people to believe I am doing something wrong. But if I do it proudly in front of anyone, then they know that I am doing what I believe is best for my child.

By the way, I remember that thread about the two children being taken away when a photo developer called CPS. From what I remember, the child's father was living in another country (I can't remember what country) and never got to see his child nurse. So when the father returned, the father wanted a picture of the child nursing. The child had already weaned so perhaps it looked weird because they might have been forcing the child to nurse for the picture. I have a terrible memory but that's what i remember. The point is, the cases we hear about are these strange cases that most of us will probably never find ourselves in.

I saw a video of a vaccination conference in Rochester, NY I think. There was a couple who got up and stated that their children were taken away by CPS. When I saw that I got really scared. But about a minute later, the father mumbled something along the lines that there were other reasons why the kids were taken. He did elaborate on the other reasons. So these cases always have more than we hear about. Activists sometimes stick to one of the reasons, ie not vaccinating, and then all of the non vaccinating parents get really scared.

-Lauren

1 - 12 of 12 Posts