Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found out my 6 year old was accidentally left in the classroom alone while the class left to go to the bathroom. He was reading a book in the corner and didn't notice they had all lined up (talk about being absorbed in the story!) and all of the sudden the light was off and the door slammed. He stayed in the room crying for 10 to 15 minutes until the class came back. I heard all this from him and nothing from the teacher.

I'm already nervous he will get lost on field trips, but now I'm going to be extra paranoid!

Does this happen often? Has this ever happened to your child? Would you think it's a big deal?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Most field trips I've been on had about 4-5 kids to 1 adult, so I wouldn't generalize that way at all.

I'd ask what the procedure is for lining up in the room. What did he not hear or notice? I'd also ask why he didn't just get up and walk out of the room. If he had, wouldn't he have seen where they were going?

Reactions: easydoesit

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd contact the teacher ASAP and find out what the plan is to avoid this in the future.

I agree with Linda that this isn't likely to happen on a field trip in part because the parent volunteers are going to be less likely to be in auto-pilot mode and are only tracking 4-5 kids.

However, it also shouldn't be happening in school because lining up and such is supposed to make it so the teacher can just glance around the room and down the line of kids and know where everyone is.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I see it as a small deal but not something to let go completely.

Talk to your son: "It was scary to be alone in the room, huh? But remember that your classroom is a safe place. You got lonely, but you were okay. If that ever happens again, get up and go to the door right away and follow your class if you can see where they're going."

Talk to the teacher: "I'm sure you didn't mean to leave him alone in the room. He was upset. Could you please check a little more carefully that you have all the kids before you leave the room?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts