Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced scissors to my ds today. I was just wondering if it is normal for them to try and cut with the scissors positioned on top of the paper (like, if he had them closed, he could stab through the paper) instead of on the side. Also, he is not getting how to do it one-handed. It is only the first day he has tried this, so I am not particularly worried, it just surprised me. I guess I never realized how many things you have to think about to use scissors.

Is this a normal beginning? How long does it typically take for them to catch on?

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Scissors are not easy. You might want to "share the scissors" at first... your hand over his. He needs to have the paper down on the table for safety, of course, but before you start cutting you can try giving him a side view, so he can see that one blade is under the paper. But yes, having volunteered at my daughters preschool for a couple years... holding them on top of the paper is pretty normal at first.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yup, tricky stuff for little ones. We did it together at first. I would remind my kids "thumb on top" and repeat "open, close, open, close" over & over as we cut. Then once they got the hang of the motion I would hold the paper still for them while they cut, so they could just focus on the scissor action. It does take a while before they can do it all on their own. HTH.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I agree with what the pp said. I also wanted to say that we started with just snipping all the edges of a sheet of paper all the way around as our first activity, I held the paper for dd. We then drew a face in the center and said we had made a lion. I plan to progress to letting dd cut a line that looks like a path to a character I've drawn, first straight and then adding curves, after that comes cutting out shapes. Scissors involve a lot of skill, so it will take a while.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. I had no idea what was 'normal', so your replies helped a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts