Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have the right to do what I want to my body, but could I get in trouble as an unfit mother for not having prenatals in the event that something goes wrong and I need to transport to the hospital?

A lot of people plan to say that the birth happened too fast, and that's why they had a uc, but if you don't have any sort of prenatal scare or scare taker lined up, that reason probably wouldn't work.

I know that there's a religious exempt. We are metaphysical and that does play into our up/uc choice. I'm sure that doing my own prenatal care would be helpful, but I doubt that would mean very much to the government and medical community.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
There is no LAW that states you HAVE to have prenatal care. So, NO you can not get into trouble.

HOWEVER, that does not mean that so crazy doctor will not report you for some suposed neglect. If you take care of you infant, they can not punish you for what you may or may not do BEFORE the infant was born (according to law, an unborn infant is not alive, thus, can not be neglected).

IF someone ever did call CPS on you for your lack of prenatal care, you just don't let them in your house! They can't enter without a warrent (and they WILL threaten to get one, but with out cause they can't). Show them a happy, healthy baby (out side, and show-no-touch). All they can report is that your baby was happy and healthy and you would not let them in the house. CPS is only there to FIND a case against you. They are looking for problems. So don't show them anything and they can't find a problem.

Anyway, like I said, though, the chances of that happening because of lack of prenatal care is slim. More likely you would be reported for trying to do a homebirth rather than UP. And that is not illegal either.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well you do have care ...you. Now have you been keeping a log of your care? How about a journal? I would suggest a small notebook with dates and facts/figures of your weeks of pregnancy. It isn't equal to medical care (by docs) but it does show that you weren't just willy nilly.
For instance... a week in my prenatal log book would read:
The Date
Week of Pregancy
bp
pulse
weight
baby postion
new supplement
overall feeling
fundal height
other notes.

But like others will tell you...There is no law that says you have to have prenatal care.
No worries.
Tricia

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I know that "less than 5 prenatal visits" is a criteria for drug testing mother and baby in some hospitals in the US- other than that I'm not aware of any other discriminatory practices. If you tell them you didn't have any because you couldn't afford it they'll probably just give you some info on medicaid and programs like that. They might have a social worker come in to do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts