Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in CA. Child services sent him a letter to announce they would be taking him to court to reimburse them of services rendered (aka food stamps and MediCal costs) And/or also to inforce that he pays health insurance (which is unaffordable at $200/person/month...unless he is exaggerating.)

Does any of this sound familiar?

Problem with this is: He pays the rent, which is child support of 1225/ month. The only way I am able to pay utilities/ bills is because of food stamps. If the pressure stresses him out, he'll most likely pack up and go.

He says that he wishes I'd reconsider and allow him to pay for counseling for three years instead of letting the courts into our lives. He wants me to give up the divorce. I'm not. He can go get his problems resolved, that would be great. I am not interested in the man he is now, and I'd need to feel that he is different. (That statement makes me terribly uncomfortable, I don't want to make anyone do anything.) We get along nicely right now, but that is because he spends little time here. He is maxed out in about 3 hours, and I am reminded how I wished he was different.

I could withdraw the application to Social Services so they would get out of our business. Really, he is doing a lot for us, the "right" thing for support.

~~Does the court assign a percentage of cost for insurance & reimbursement? How do they decide?

Thanks for anything remotely helpful.
Lori
Mom of three!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That's hard! If he's there and doing what you need him to, perhaps pulling out of Social Services is the best thing for your situation. Would you qualify for Healthy Families? They will reject you if you don't have enough income- perhaps he could apply for Healthy Families with his income?

And will you be able to make it without foodstamps?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.