Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not really looking for one, i would like to be one. would i need to study child psychology or..? im not sure what classes i will have to take. i know psychology would be one of them but what else? thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am a child therapist. I have a BA in psychology and a Masters in Social Work. If you want to do therapy, in order to get a license to practice you will need a Masters. There are ways to work theraputically with children with only the BA, but it wouldn't be psychotherapy. If you want more info you cant contact me.<br><br>
Kerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also a child/family therapist. I have a liberal arts bachelor's and a masters degree in social work, like Kerry. I am also licensed in my state (NM) at the master's level and am working on my independent license which means I can be a "free agent". I do art, play and sand tray therapy with the kiddos and family therapy with the parents and kids. I really want to encourage you to do both.....because most parents expect you to "fix" the kid who is the "problem" and because if the kid has a troubled home environment you can do all the therapy in the world with the kid and just keep sending them back to their dysfunctional family.<br><br>
My social work graduate degree was more general, but it gave me opportunity to have great clinical internships (I went to school in the Bay Area) and that's where my most valuable learning took place. Contact me if you'd like more info.<br>
~peace,<br>
Maria

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I am licensed as a Psychologist in Minnesota but you can't do what I did anymore without a PhD. Its complicated. I have a masters degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. I believe very strongly in this philosophy. I see some kids alone, for part of the session. Mostly kids don't understand why they should see me, they don't care about the degrees on the wall. I tell parents, they are their kids best therapists and I'll be the coach. Would love to answer any more questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have done therapy with children. I have an M.A. in Counseling. During my schooling, I interned at an agency specializing in counseling youth and families. I was then hired on and spent 4 years there. I do agree though, with the person who said family therapy is a crucial piece--in my mind, much more effective than seeing a child alone. I suppose it could be called "parent coaching" as well.<br><br>
There are many routes you could take if you want to counsel children and families. But you would need at least a masters degree, either in social work, counseling, marriage and family, etc. Or you could pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology, etc. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts