Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, that's a long title. Here's the story - my youngest seemed to have decided that she was done nursing a few months ago. Then she's recently asked to nurse again a few times - twice at my last mw appt and a couple of times in bed. I don't think she remembers how to nurse. She just sort of sat there with her mouth on my breast and then was finished. Maybe it was just a comfort thing. Anyway, I would honestly prefer it if she didn't want to nurse again after the baby is born - not thrilled about tandeming agian. BUT, I will. I'm just wondering if she's going to remember how, and if I'm going to need to teach her to again. Has anyone had to do this? Was it difficult or did they pick it up again pretty easily? I just kind of want to be prepared for after the baby's born, KWIM? (Which I think will be pretty soon - but I've been wrong about that before!!!) Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
She may just want to know that she can....if she wants to. With a new baby on the way, she may be wondering how she fits in and if you still will love her and is using nursing as a stimulus for that. Does that make sense? If it were me, I would let her if she asked. Ds asked after dd was born. I was hoping he would because our nursing was cut short. He would crawl up on my lap after he asked but never actually did latch on. He just wanted to know that he COULD.

mandy

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
My oldest did something similar right after my second child was born. He weaned when I was about 3 months pregnant. When the new baby was a few months old, DS suddenly started asking to nurse again. I allowed him, but he had forgotten how to nurse. He did just what you described, he put his mouth on my breast and just looked at me. I told him that he needed to suck if he wanted milk, but he never did figure it out. This went on for a couple of weeks, with DS asking to nurse every couple of days. Eventually he just stopped asking, and he never did truly nurse again.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why didn't I think of that? Sheesh. I was an LLL leader for four years - I used to tell people the exact same thing. I guess I'm just concerned that she'll really want to nurse and get frustrated because she doesn't remember how, YK? We'll just cross that bridge if it comes, I guess. Hopefully, she'll just need the reassurance that she'll still be "allowed" to nurse.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My DD wanted to nurse when I had another baby last year. I had the same experience. I was fine with it (ok, maybe a bit anxious that she'd accidently bite me) but in the end, she couldn't make it work, and after about two months of wanting to try off and on, she lost interest and moved on to nursing her own baby dolls.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My dd weaned after 5 mo. of tandem nursing (she saw milk coming out one day and it freaked her out). 9 mo. later, she started asking again, and I let her. but I had to show her how. "open your mouth wide... take as much as you can into your mouth, now suck". I had to teach her the right way b/c her just sucking on my nipple drove me nuts, I hated it! So, she's back to nursing again! It feels funny, but she actually gets milk out... so I let her!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts