Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I wish I had written down the title, but I saw a children's sex ed book the other day, and it showed a mother nursing and a foreskin. (Not in the same picture.)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Breastmilk Makes My Tummy Yummy by Cecilia Moen

The Wonders of Mother's Milk by Mishawn Purnell-O'Neal

The LLL link above has a wonderful description of whether there's nursing shown in the children's books.

Laurel

·
Registered
10,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The most recent issue of Mothering had a list of books which had breastfeeding in them (children's).

I bought a couple of them and have liked them:
Sophie and the New Baby (just awesome, deals with the impact of a new baby for an older sibling - it doesn't say anything about bf, but 2-3 pictures of mom with the new baby breastfeeding are in it with "He wanted to eat," etc. comments about how baby was).

Will There Be a Lap for Me? (added bonus, African-American family
and diversity also for Ina, in that we live in a relatively rural area and the pictures are more city (riding a city bus etc.)). Also doesn't SAY anything about nursing, but shows baby nursing and big brother sitting next to mom while baby nurses.

I have another on order (Only the Cat Saw).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi New Baby! shows the mother nursing the new babe. It's by Robie Harris. It also shows the baby having his cloth diaper being changed and it looks like he's not circed. good book all around. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...lance&n=283155

It looks like the author has another book called Happy Birth Day that shows the mom bfing too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well Evan has one called "I love my mommy because" that shows a picture of a lamb nursing. There are two pictures of human moms and babies and they don't use any bottles. (FWIW there is also a daddy version and no bottles there either.)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My kids LOVE Breastmilk Makes My Tummy Yummy ! It shows babies and toddlers nursing, a preschool age kid getting ready to nurse, nursing in the bath, tandem nursing, mothers and babies of different cultures and ethnicities, nursing and co-sleeping, ....very cute book!

mandy

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:
I wish I had written down the title, but I saw a children's sex ed book the other day, and it showed a mother nursing and a foreskin. (Not in the same picture.)
Not in the same picture.... that struck a funny bone for some reason.

(-:

Jessica

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
"If My Mom Were a Platypus" by Dia Michels is a great book about other animals, how they are fed, raised, etc. It talks about some animals nursing and the last one is a human. http://www.platypusmedia.com/children.shtml

Dr. Sears has a great book called "What Baby Needs" that talks about a new baby coming home and how it will need to nurse, etc. We have that one...was a huge hit when dd was 2 and her twin sisters were born.

There is also "Michelle the Nursing Toddler" which you could probably still get through LLL's website.

I'll try to find more....

·
Registered
937 Posts
We like to nurse, has pictures over over a dozen baby animals nursing! Very cute! you can find it at LLL or B&N.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby
DS and I are in that book

Hi! It's Colleen! What is your 1st name? The Mamas and Babies in my book are like my 2nd family. I felt like I have spent so much time with you all in the last several months.

Here is a link for Near Mama's Heart at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141...599837?ie=UTF8

I also highly recommend "Saturday with Mez" A Day in the Life of a Breastfeeding Toddler By Lauren Serafin
It is Soooo SWEET!

http://laurenserafin.com/saturdayWithMez

Lauren also has a nice list she has started called "Other children's books portraying breastfeeding" on her site.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Cindy and Zach ("Her skin is so soft, her body so warm" page)

Hi mama!

I just showed your book to a friend today and he wants to buy it for his wife to help encourage her to BF their next one longer than they did their first

I LOVE the wording, it's so sweet and sums it all up perfectly!

I looked at that link for the Mez book - how sweet! But I see him as so much more of a baby than a toddler (maybe because my DS is such a long, lean big kid now
) How old was little Mez when they shot that book? I wonder if he is still nursing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby
Cindy and Zach ("Her skin is so soft, her body so warm" page)
Of course! Oh your picture is just beautiful. It is absolutely striking!

Thank you again for your contribution!

Isn't Mez a cutie?!?

I beleive Mez was only one or a bit older when the photos were taken. I am almost positive that Mez is three now and Lauren said he is happily nursing with no signs of stopping!

·
Registered
370 Posts
boatbaby- Mez was 17 months old when the book pictures were taken. I guess he might look more like a baby because he didn't start walking until a few days later than the pictures were taken. And he he has always had more than average amounts of baby fat. He still does in fact. He is now 40 months old and still nursing. Just not as often as he was back then.

Hi Colleen!

-Lauren

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm usually not a Disney fan, but Winnie Pooh's Encyclopedia of Animals actually is great about nursing and mammals. I think nearly *every* mammal they describe (brief about infancy, "childhood" and adult stages of many mammals, reptiles, birds, bugs etc.) -- has at least a passing mention of "X drinks its mother's milk," or "X drinks its mommy's milk until [x date]". I think it's pretty cool in that regard. Nice pictures (good photo illustrations) and information. So if you're looking for a book which doesn't necessarily have to have pictures of nursing, but definitely normalizes the idea of nursing - it might be nice. It doesn't say anything about how human babies are fed (humans are the first entry), but it also doesn't have pictures of bottles either.

Ina has enjoyed the books a lot since a little past a year of age ... now nearly three ... and her older cousins (5 and 6) both love to look at the books too (there's also an Encyclopedia of Nature one which is neat to look at). I like the books because I think they're quite accurate, scientifically and yet are very basic, kids-level books about why things are the way they are (what causes lightning, etc.).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.