Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 27 months old and we recently noticed a small chip in her front tooth. I don't know how it got there. She has her share of falls like all 2 year olds. Now I got a peek at the back of her front teeth and her two top front teeth have brown spots on the back. We have brushed her teeth every night for a long time (when she first started getting teeth) with xylitol or a xylitol toothpaste.<br><br>
I'm very worried about her. She's such a sensitive kid, she's going to hate all this. I fear she's going to need actual dental surgery now.<br><br>
The family dentists seem more laid back and let her stay with me, but they refer kids who need actual dental work and the pediatric dentist I called won't let me be with her for any procedures other than a check-up. Should I go with them anyways and just insist on being with her no matter what?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'll try to make our long story short:<br><br>
DD chipped a tooth at 16 months old, and had dental surgery at 18 months, which resulted in 3 capped front teeth, one extraction, and some fillings in her molars. We have had an ongoing relationship with the ped dentist since then.<br><br><b>First off, I highly recommend Rescue Remedy for the dental appointments</b> starting the night before.<br><br>
In our case, I believe it was the IV antibiotics that they pushed on DD at one day old that damaged her baby teeth. I am hoping her permanent teeth come in strong and healthy. I may have to look at the possibility of legal action against the hospital if her permanent teeth are damaged.<br><br>
The ped. dentist in Costa Rica tried to blame it on me and extended nursing, but there are plenty of mothers here on MDC who extend nurse and nightnurse through teeth and their children's teeth aren't falling out. So, I don't buy that it was my fault. I believe it was the antibiotics.<br><br>
When you take your dd to the ped dentist, there is no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to be with her. Insist on it. I insisted that I be let in the operating room when we had to take DD in to have evergreen leaves removed from the back of her throat (story for another thread!), and the doc just pointed me to a dressing room where I could put on scrubs.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We went to the dentist today and her 2 front teeth have some decay. They said they don't let parents go in for cavity fillings, but they drilled out some decay while she sat on my lap facing me, leaning back onto the dentist's lap. She screamed and cried and thrashed and kicked... it was pretty bad, but at least she was with me and she nursed before and afterwards. The temp fillings only last 6-12 months, so we have to make some decisions when it comes time to replace them. We have to go back next month to get a little more done, too. They did a fluoride treatment today and want to do another one next month. I'm not fighting it because her the state of her teeth right now. I'm going to research this more, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts