Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>If you had Chiropractic Care during your pregnancy (or currently are) when did you start?  I had back labor during my first birth so it's been recommended that I start chiropractic care soon.  I'll be 21 weeks this week.  I'm wondering when I should start.  With my last pregnancy I did see a chiropractor towards the end but it was strictly to try and turn my breech baby.  Insurance does cover up to a point, but it's still a $25 co-pay so it adds up fast.  Hopefully I don't have to go as often as when we were trying to turn baby head down (I think I had to go multiple times a week for about 3 weeks).</p>

·
Registered
189 Posts
<p>I'm in a similar situation, bad back labor last time due to posterior baby. My doula has recommended a chiropractor specializing in pregnancy and I'm going to see her for an inital evaluation this weekend (I'm 23 weeks). I don't have any other pain or physical complaints right now, so I'm going to ask her how often I should see her. I will update after my appointment but am interested in other's opinions too.</p>

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
<p>my DH is a chiro, so I recieve care from day 1.  </p>
<p>BUT, if i wasn't married to a chiro i'd still seek care.  I'd find a chiro who specializes in Women, Maternity, and Kids.  I know they are out there cause i'm friends with one.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd make an appointment now and go and have an initial appointment/interview with the chiro.  </p>
<p>Get your questions answered and get their input on when you should come in and how often.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Know ahead of time how much your insurance will cover so that you'll know when they are trying to milk your insurance for all it's worth.  Not all chiros do this.  But, some do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Don't be afraid to try different chiros.  here is a good starting point, i think: <a href="http://icpa4kids.org/" target="_blank">http://icpa4kids.org/</a></p>
<p>not that every ICPA chiro is good, but, I THINK, there is a higher likelyhood of an icpa chiro also having a maternity background.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>This is my first baby, and I am a massage therapist so I get regular massages but am also curious about chiro care.  When do I know if I need it?  I don't have much pain or issues since I get massage regularly.  Do I need chiro appointments anyway?</p>

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
<p>I'd still go for Chiro care at least a few times, possibly in the 3rd trimester.  Do you have a good relationship with a chiro to pick their brain first before making an appointment?  I'd want to make sure everything was in line and ready to go for Labour and Delivery.</p>

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have been going from the start. Last time I went periodically, and then twice a week after 35 weeks. It makes a big difference in how I feel, and in how the baby is positioned. My chiro specializes in pregnancy and pediatric care. I have SPD, and I can barely waddle in to the appointment. After getting adjusted, the SPD isn't gone, but I can stand straight up and walk normally.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
<p>Definitely go sooner rather than later.  I stopped going when I got preg bc my chiro at the time wasn't comfortable working on me.  Ugh.  I ended up with a last minute pinched nerve in my lower back when I went to bed, 4am when my water broke next morning, I fell trying to step out of bed.  I was miserable during labor, especially later on.  Thank god for my hubby, he wouldn't let me cave for the epidural at 22hrs when I finally said I wanted it, but I wasn't able to get comfortable standing to push like I wanted to, or even from my hands and knees.  Go figure, 2 seconds after my daughter popped out, my back cracked so loud the whole room stopped to turn and look!  Now I go to someone who works on my daughter and me and we both love her!</p>

·
Registered
202 Posts
<p>I started in the third trimester with a chiropractor who specialized in prenatal and women, not for any particular reason, just to feel as good as possible. I also got massages, and between that and the Chiro I felt really good and didn't get sore. It helped with sleeping issues, back pain, preparing the pelvis for delivery etc. I went in for a chiro evaluation and she told me to come every other week unless I had problems and wanted to come in more. I think I went more often as my due date approached.</p>

·
Registered
147 Posts
<p>I've been going since before becoming PG.  I have a desk job and chrio helps with the tension in my back and neck.  So i've been going since day 1 of pregnancy and I feel much better.  I really notice a difference if i skip a week.  When i'm really sore I go once every two weeks.  Now i'm feeling good so i stretch it out to once every three weeks. </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts