Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chocolate milk is my son's all time favorite treat. So he gets it once in a while.

However, I really hate the ingredients in the powdered mixes - does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy something that tastes good and will be good for him?

He's home with dad during the day, and I really do need something that doesn't involve melting our own chocolate or something
It's more of a daddy-treat, and daddy's not going to do all that stuff. I'm going to check Frontier, it seems like something they might have, but I thought I'd ask here as well

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I love juice plus' dutch chocolate protein powder! Its delicoius, and has lots of vitamins and protein and such in it too!

Otherwise, I did notice that theres a "recipe" for choc milk on the rapnuzel coco powder I bought (I think its like 1 TBSP coco powder 1 tsp sugar, or something).

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Chocolate milk powders actually aren't as bad as the syrups, IMHO. They tend to be just sugar and cocoa... maybe a little salt or vanilla. The syrups are almost always HFCS...so I avoid those like the plague. So honestly, I'd use the one your kid likes... be it Nesquik (which supposedly has 25% less sugar than other brands), Ovaltine, Hershey's, etc.

Or simply make your own using good cocoa powder and sugar or sweetener of choice.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Trader Joe's sells Chocolate Syrup w/o HFCS. It's called Midnight Moo, I think (Might be Moo Madness...I forget).
I think Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup (something I used to see in NYC) also has no HFCS... but I can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Some of the powdered mixes also contain artificial vanilla flavor, artificial colors, etc.

We use either the Aahlaska or Midnight Moo chocolate syrup, or mix our own with cocoa powder, sugar, and real vanilla extract. Our experience, though, is that the cocoa powder doesn't dissolve well into cold milk. It's great in hot milk for hot cocoa, but the syrups work better for cold chocolate milk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.