Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Anyone have any experience with this? The last few days I've started getting really itchy. My belly has been itchy for a while, which is normal, but starting a few days ago my legs were getting itchy and now I itch everywhere. Last night I was up at 2am with uncontrollable itching, I just couldn't stop scratching my back and legs and neck. There is no rash or anything else. From what I've read this could be cholestasis, which like every other pg problem is more common in multiples lol, and that the best thing to do is have the babies or big problems. Anyone experience extreme itching and it be something else? I know I should call my OB and ask them if they want to have me get it checked, and I probably will in a little bit, I just want to hear some real experiences too. :)</p>

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
<p>You don't happen to be on a mega-Vitamin D supplement, do you?  I was told my Vitamin D was low at the beginning of the pregnancy, and they put me on a 50,000 iu per week tablet.  I started experiencing extreme itching.  It was horrible, but it took me a while to realize it was from the Vitamin D.  When I stopped the prescription supplement and started supplementing with an OTC 1000 iu per day supplement, the itching stopped.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Nope, no Vit D supplement. I haven't changed anything about my diet or clothing detergent or soap or anything.</p>

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Dry skin? What are you using for moisturizing? I am using plain old olive oil and it is wonderful! It is also pretty immediately effective at moisturizing my skin and getting it to stop itching. If your skin is moisturized and you've had no other changes I'd call your midwife/OB first thing Monday...sorry you are going through this! Ugh!<br><br>
Jenne

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
<p>I get itchy when it dries out every winter; it's worse when I'm pregnant. I switch to a sensitive skin version of my usual body wash, and otherwise just try very hard not to scratch. When not pg I use a prescription steroid cream that knocks it out; I've avoided that this winter.</p>

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
<p>Do you have a rash?  PUPPP is more common in multiple pregnancies as well as boy pregnancies.  I had it last time - not dangerous, just annoying.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PUPPP" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PUPPP</a></p>

·
Registered
102 Posts
<p>It could be a stress reaction.  I had the same thing while planning my wedding - uncontrollable itching and no rash.  I went to a dermatologist, took antihistamines, and kept a food diary to try to figure it out.  The dermatologist said it was hives with no rash (can't remember the name), with redness and swelling that appeared and worsened after scratching.  We never found the cause in any allergen, infection, etc. and concluded it was probably stress.  I was going through a lot of conflict with my family on top of lots of other stress in my life at the time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Don't take hot baths or showers.  They feel great when you're in the water, but afterward the itching is worse.  You could try a moisturizer that feels cooling (it's winter, I know) and less oily, like aloe vera gel.  Hope you feel better!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts