Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So people think this ice-age talk is all nonsense?

One of my husband's business partners has a masters degree in environmental science. He says computer modeling shows that the planet warming will actually trigger the next ice-age, not prevent it. This sounds like an oxymoron, but he says the polar caps, particularly the northern one is what controls the ocean water currents in the Atlantic and Pacific. He says there are 5 major currents and 3 have stopped flowing and the other 2 are depleted. The US government in paying to monitor the condition of the remaining 2. It is these currents that keep England warm in spite of its very northern latitude. Once the flows stop, ice will reform, and there will be no flows from the equator to slow it down. He says the US canada border is about where the polar cap will extend. All the major cities of the world within 5' of sea level will be under water first, Miami, NY, LA, etc, because the ice that is over the land will have melted and dropped into the ocean.

From Chomsky:

Quote:
A few months earlier, at the 2005 annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, leading U.S. climate researchers released "the most compelling evidence yet" that human activities are responsible for global warming, according to The Financial Times.

They predicted major climatic effects, including severe reductions in water supplies in regions that rely on rivers fed by melting snow and glaciers.

Other prominent researchers at the session reported evidence that the melting of Arctic and Greenland ice sheets is causing changes in the sea's salinity balance that threaten "to shut down the Ocean Conveyor Belt, which transfers heat from the tropics toward the polar regions through currents such as the Gulf Stream."
http://counterpunch.com/chomsky11162005.html

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It astounds me that people don't believe this. C'mon, even HOLLYWOOD is buying it! Didn't anyone see "The Day After Tomorrow"? Only in the real world, Jake Gyllenhaal isn't coming to save me...

I've recommended the book "Boiling Point" here before. Not sure any of he naysayers actually read it, though.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Oh, man, don't do this to me.

I believe absolutely in all the global-warming stuff. Am environmentally idealistic. Al Gore is still my man for Prez.

But if Chomsky is arguing for this, well, it must be time to rethink.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk
Oh, man, don't do this to me.

I believe absolutely in all the global-warming stuff. Am environmentally idealistic. Al Gore is still my man for Prez.

But if Chomsky is arguing for this, well, it must be time to rethink.

I KNEW you wouldn't be able to see a thread with Chomsky's name w/o commenting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.