Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, can someone go over in detail, for me, what makes a mattress safe to co-sleep?<br><br>
We need to buy a mattress, and since they last a while, want to buy one that will be safe for co-sleeping with a newborn in a couple years. We are thinking of getting a queen since they are usually not significantly more than doubles, and then dealing with adding more space as needed, later on.<br><br>
We can't afford a natural mattress. I know that the toxins from offgassing petro-foam and other things in mattresses, plus the fireproofing are dangerous for adults and particularly infants. But there is no way, no how, not in any way possible that we can afford double the price for a natural mattress, and that is the LEAST expensive I've seen. 800 is our absolute tops, already stretching a lot budget for a mattress. Is it ok/safe/possible to co-sleep on such a mattress? If a conventional toxic mattress is all I can afford is it so dangerous that there is no point in trying to find a good cosleeping mattress? that doesn't seem right (as in correct), that unless you can afford an incredibly expensive natural mattress, you can't co-sleep, but I don't want to endanger our babes.<br><br>
Also, firmness wise, I know the mattress needs to be very firm, but how do I know if the mattress is firm enough for a newborn? No pillowtop, I'm sure, but what is firm enough? Ikea has a latex mattress we're looking at (and a latex topped spring mattress). Is latex too soft? My dad suggusted buying a peice of bed quality latex, and then making a covering ourselves, but isn't latex too soft?<br><br>
thank you so much for your help, mamas!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you are concerned about off-gassing, you can purchase bed wraps to go over it which are supposed to keep them from getting to you. Google 'mattress wrapping' for more info.<br><br>
One thing about the latex is that many people are allergic to it. My youngest is and as far as I know we have no family history of it, so it was a bit out of nowhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts