Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the parent of a boy with special needs who will be turning 5 and so starting kindergarten in the fall. We will be moving to the northern suburbs of Philadelphia and I'm trying to choose from among a few neighboring school districts*. My #1 criteria will be what they have to offer a child like mine (whose disabilities are relatively mild) for the next 13 years.

I've talked to one district Special Ed director on the phone, and of course she says her district is the best--and it occurred to me they will all say that. How do I choose?

I was on the greatschools.org site and a parent left a comment to the effect that their district was good overall but if your kid was special needs, they wouldn't be getting any help unless they were extremely disabled. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of. But I also don't want to avoid a district based on one random comment on a message board.

I'm hoping to find other parents of special needs kids living in eastern Montgomery County, PA, who can share their experiences.

*Districts I'm considering are:
Upper Moreland
Lower Moreland
Abington
Upper Dublin
Jenkintown
and maybe Hatboro-Horsham

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not have a special needs child but I have taught as a substitute teacher in all of those districts. Lower moreland would be my pick - very nice, very small, great children, very good district. I must add, whether you like a district or not is a very personal thing. It can depend on which teachers your child gets or what exactly you expect. Maybe you could get a feel for the schools by visiting them or just driving by (the set up of the buildings and grounds can tell you a bit about their atmosphere and may steer you in one direction or another.) I hope you find a good fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If you can recall, how would Upper Moreland compare to LM? The reason I ask is affordability. As in, we may go back to renting after having a house of our own if that's what it takes. Upper Moreland has places we can afford to buy, while I'm not sure that will be possible in Lower Moreland.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.