Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!<br><br>
Does anyone have a special set up for chopping up matter for the compost bin? Im looking for an easy set up to use so I can try and put smaller pieces in the bin. I do chop the kitchen scraps inside, I just cant see bringing out the cutting board and ruining a good knife to use on the outdoor stuff.<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
seedgirl

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The only things I chop are grapefruit rinds. I just can't see chopping food for the compost! People who are really into it grind it in the food processor. This blows my mind! It's enough of a pain to get out the food processor and clean it when it's something I'm going to eat - but to do it for compost is crazy to me! I turn my pile frequently and the food seems to degrade plenty fast.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Ya know, I thought about this and if I ever do it...<br><br>
I will just plug in an old blender in a shed near the pile. Use the blender top/jar as my scrap container. Then stick it on the base and blend for a bit. Dump contents in pile and go about my business.<br><br>
I think the trick is having a designated blender in a convenient spot.<br><br>
Let me know hwo this goes, i have thought about it several times. It will really speed up your composting process!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can't imagine having the time to do this. I can hardly get my compost outside. It seems like my stuff breaks down pretty quickly (okay, the whole pumpkin took awhile) as it is.<br><br>
I assume the purpose is to make compost really fast, but is it worth the time that it takes to grind everything?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Oh and for chopping leaves, if you don't have a leaf shredder, I read that you can chop them up with a mulching mower, or even put the leaves in a garbage can and run the weedwacker in there to chop them up. I am too lazy to do this so I either just put my leaves right in, or else I let them sit somewhere in a dry place and get all dead and crumbly and then stomp on them and they crumble to bits. If you have a paper shredder you can shred your used computer printouts (black ink only). This is next on my list!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>mom at home</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">It seems like my stuff breaks down pretty quickly (okay, the whole pumpkin took awhile) as it is.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Hahahahaha.<br><br>
Yeah, my avocado pits havent broken down yet, either. : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts