Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Does anyone have a special set up for chopping up matter for the compost bin? Im looking for an easy set up to use so I can try and put smaller pieces in the bin. I do chop the kitchen scraps inside, I just cant see bringing out the cutting board and ruining a good knife to use on the outdoor stuff.

Thanks,

seedgirl

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The only things I chop are grapefruit rinds. I just can't see chopping food for the compost! People who are really into it grind it in the food processor. This blows my mind! It's enough of a pain to get out the food processor and clean it when it's something I'm going to eat - but to do it for compost is crazy to me! I turn my pile frequently and the food seems to degrade plenty fast.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Ya know, I thought about this and if I ever do it...

I will just plug in an old blender in a shed near the pile. Use the blender top/jar as my scrap container. Then stick it on the base and blend for a bit. Dump contents in pile and go about my business.

I think the trick is having a designated blender in a convenient spot.

Let me know hwo this goes, i have thought about it several times. It will really speed up your composting process!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can't imagine having the time to do this. I can hardly get my compost outside. It seems like my stuff breaks down pretty quickly (okay, the whole pumpkin took awhile) as it is.

I assume the purpose is to make compost really fast, but is it worth the time that it takes to grind everything?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Oh and for chopping leaves, if you don't have a leaf shredder, I read that you can chop them up with a mulching mower, or even put the leaves in a garbage can and run the weedwacker in there to chop them up. I am too lazy to do this so I either just put my leaves right in, or else I let them sit somewhere in a dry place and get all dead and crumbly and then stomp on them and they crumble to bits. If you have a paper shredder you can shred your used computer printouts (black ink only). This is next on my list!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom at home
It seems like my stuff breaks down pretty quickly (okay, the whole pumpkin took awhile) as it is.
Hahahahaha.

Yeah, my avocado pits havent broken down yet, either. : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts