Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We are not big Christmas celebrators.  But, I have been reading a lot about Waldorf and like the idea of creating our own family traditions.  I plan on talking to my 3 year old about St. Nick and festivals.  I am 36 weeks pregnant, so I don't have a whole lot of time and would like to make this time special for DS, especially since we are having a baby soon!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wanted some ideas about how to celebrate and some crafts we can do together.  I was thinking window stars.  DH does not want a tree, but I would like something like that.  I am thinking about getting some essential oils that would help with the smell in the environment (because I am absolutely in love with oils right now).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, any thoughts on decorations, things to do with DS as well as crafts?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
<p>You don't have to do anything fancy!  Sometimes the smallest things make the biggest memories.  :)  I remember the wierdest little details of my childhood...things that became almost ritual!  I've noticed the same thing with my brother's girls even though they're now 10 and 14! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you really want to make a family tradition, maybe ask your husband if he has any fond memories of the Christmas (or winter season in general).  You might be able to incorporate that into your family's tradition.  I think it will be simpler if he's supportive.  You can pull it off without him, but it would be more fun for everyone if he was involved.  And three is such an awesome age for the holidays!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Making cookies to give as gifts is something my mom does every year with my nieces.  Their mom doesn't do Christmas at all and my brother is usually too busy...so she's given them the traditions and they love it!  From the age where the littlest one just had her own special blob of dough to play with while grandma and neice#1 made the cookies, they've done it every year!  And then Mom helps them package up plates of cookies and they have a special gift to share with family that they made! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're doing St. Nicholas Day for the first time this year.  That might be a fun thing to do.  Easy on the Christmas traditions.  But still a bit of fun and magic for your son.  And you've got a whole week to find a few little treats to stick in his shoes.  Telling a story or two and leaving his shoes out is really all it takes for that one! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Driving around to look at lights can be a family activity that turns into a tradition for lots of people.  I don't think anyone outgrows that one! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!  I totally understand the urge.  I think the pregnancy hormones really push the "I NEED TO MAKE THIS MAGIC FOR MY CHILD" button.  :-D  Ask me how I know!  ;-D  And I'm only a couple months along!  The year I was 36 wks pregnant with DS and told I couldn't drive home on Christmas eve because I was a ticking time-bomb, I spent Christmas eve setting up my tree and lights and planning a meal and cooking and shopping for Santa presnets and listening to carols.  Something about Christmas and pregnancy hormones really kicks my need for tradition into overdrive!!  (And then DS was born a few days later and the tree stayed up until March!)</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts