Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nicholas Adric was born at 8:11 p.m. on December 24. I was in labor for 15 hours, and it all went well. During pushing my midwife got into a sort of "emergency mode" that wasn't helpful to me, and I never quite hit my stride and felt competent at pushing the way I did at the earlier labor, but my partner was fabulously positive and excited and encouraging and helped me through it.

I had an episiotomy, which I'm totally convinced was the right decision: He was born in one more contraction after that, and I didn't have any additional tearing, and it is healing well.

Nicholas inhaled meconium, so he was whisked away for suctioning; I saw him emerge in the mirror, and then he was GONE. That was very hard on me.
He was taken for observation for 2 hours and was very sleepy when he finally came back, but later that night we caught up on our bonding. We had 2 nights and a day together in a postpartum room with nice nurses (didn't say a word about co-sleeping) and pretty good food.

Then he developed severe jaundice and had to be treated with UV lights and immunoglobulin. The best place for them to do this was in the neonatal ICU. We knew we were so much luckier than most of the families there, but it was still very stressful being able to hold him only 20 minutes every 3 hours and see that he was miserable the rest of the time.
After 29 hours he switched to having just one, flexible, fiberoptic light in the back of his clothes, and we can use that at home. It's still annoying but a big improvement. And he's getting better and is healthy in every other way.

Happy new year, everybody!!!

· Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Congratulations!! And welcome to Nicholas Adric! What a distinguished name--that babe will go places!! We had the meconium thing too. It is a pain, but a relief to be through with that isn't it?

· Registered
1,481 Posts
Becca, I had to have an episiotomy too. The dr. was great, down there with the oil trying to gently let it stretch - but Eli decided to come out with his right arm up by his head.
She said she saw it starting to tear on the inside, so she had to do a cut. If he hadn't had that arm up there I would have gotten away without one!

Sorry to hear about all you've been through, but so glad that you're home and baby is doing well! Congratulations!

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Enviro Becca, I remember you from your pre-TTC days, and have always appreciated your insightful posts (particularly those about your parents' parenting -- they sound awesome). I am so excited to hear about the safe arrival of your little Nicholas and look forward to hearing about your experiences as a mother.

All my best.

· Registered
942 Posts
Congratulations!

We had a similar experience with not getting to bond right away -- they weighed Wyatt wrong and had him at 4 lbs 2 oz (instead of 5 lbs 12 oz!) so they took him away for eight hours until someone re-weighed him. We were able to bond really nicely after that but those 8 hours were so hard! I am so glad you have your son out of NICU now!

Enjoy him!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.