Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Well I'm due with my first December 5th and I am totally lost on what to do for Christmas.  At first we weren't even going to decorate.  Now I'm thinking it would be cute, even if its just for the pictures.  There aren't going to be any more kids around.  It will just be us, my mom, and the baby so no one is going to really notice if we didn't do anything.  I don't know if my mom is going to buy him anything for Christmas and I'm not sure if and what I should do.  Would you buy a less-than-a-month-old baby Christmas presents?  Would you wrap them?</p>

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
<p>Do what makes you smile and a weee bit of what will put smiles on your guest faces. People will bring the baby gifts if you want to get your LO something go ahead if it enjoyable to wrap go ahead... My oldest was just shy of 2 months old on her first Christmas.. She slept through it, but it still has special memories.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Deanna</p>

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
<p>I love Christmas and the whole season so I would still be doing all that I normally do. Would you decorate even if you weren't pregnant?</p>
<p>A first christmas with a newborn is super special. I would absolutely decorate, buy gifts and wrap them. You'll have a year until the next big gifting time so get him anything you'll need between now and then - clothes, toys, books, etc. And lots of cute, little baby's 1st christmas outfits. You'll only have a newborn for this one Christmas. Celebrate it!</p>

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
<p>I agree to do what makes you happy. It fits with the late pregnancy nesting to decorate. And if you think it'll help you relax and feel more centered before the birth then go ahead and deck the halls!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Having said that, my first thought while reading your post was I'm glad no one will be there to care if you don't manage to decorate because unless you do it now, you may very well not feel like it or be able to immediately post partum. You have no idea what kind of birth you'll have and how you'll feel afterwards, both physically and emotionally, so please don't set expectations for yourself. Maybe, unless you feel like decorating NOW before the birth, don't decide until last minute. Have everything ready but if you can't manage just use it to decorate next year. If you want to wrap presents for your baby, I would say do that now before the birth so you won't feel pressure to do it afterwards.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Every birth is different, and it is a big transition you are about to enter. I know for me I needed a full 2 months to start feeling like I could manage regular chores, let alone something extra like a holiday. So just be sure to go with the flow and not set your expectations too high.</p>

·
Registered
117 Posts
<p>I am due on November 30th with our first. I am really looking forward to this Christmas. I had 2 miscarriages in 2009 and was very depressed last year at this time. I didn't decorate for the holidays and it took everything I had to do the Christmas shopping I *had* to do (nieces, nephews, etc). So this year, I plan to decorate and really celebrate with our new baby. Having said that, I don't think I'll buy and wrap gifts for baby since we have what we need for now and even when baby is older, we don't want the holiday to center around gifts.</p>

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first daughter was 3 months for Christmas. We didn't get her any presents. Of course, aunts and uncles and grandparents did but not us.<br>
My second daughter was 9 days for her first Christmas. Once again, we got her nothing but close family did.<br>
Our twin boys will be almost 2 1/2 months for Christmas and like the other 2, we aren't getting them anything. Family members plan too, though.<br><br>
We decorated with our first even though it was just me, my hubby, and her. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I enjoy decorations.<br><br>
It's all up to you guys. It won't matter to the baby at all.<br><br>
Congrats and good luck!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
<p>My second ds was born last year, Dec 3rd. So since we had an older ds. We did the usual Christmas decorations and gifts, but kept it low key with a lot of home time. I actually only bought the baby a new cloth rattle toy, just so Ds 1 would see that ds 2 also got a present. If he were our first I don't think I would have bought any gifts for the baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I enjoy the coziness of Christmas decorations and it's always an excuse for me to bake a couple of things I don't make throughout the year, so I probably would still do that.</p>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<p>DS is due on December 1st (via c-section).  We are planning to put up our Christmas tree and decorations this weekend (we usually wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving)!  I agree with the PP who stated that decorating for Christmas falls in line with that late pregnancy nesting.  We are getting DS a wooden teething ring/rattle that DD has chosen. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
774 Posts
<p>My son will be 3 1/2 months and I'm going to decorate like I always do b/c I love to decorate! I normally do it for December 1st and I have a special coffee or hot chocolate drink and some shortbread cookies! Sometimes I invite friends over to help put up my tiny little tree and enjoy the treats,but sometimes they are busy. I don't plan to buy him much,just a special ornament and a musical teddy bear. He doesn't need much right now and since money is tight I'd rather spend it on debt instead and then later on as he gorws and needs toys or whatever I can buy them later. </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts