Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm at a total loss for what to get my eight year old this winter for Christmas.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We do the little rhyme 'something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read'.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She's asking for Little Pet Shop toys, but a) I know she doesn't/won't play with them and b) she won't be happy she 'wasted' her 'something you want' wish on a Little Pet Shop set.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What are your eight year olds into? She likes to read, and crafts, she also (god help me) has a DS, so there is that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I'm looking for something 'wow' for her one gift. Any ideas? TIA!</p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>Is there any experiential gift that would go over really well for her?  I remember for my friend's ds's 7th b-day they drove down to Toronto to see The Sound of Music (which he's loved forever).  It was a great gift for him.  Or maybe some kind of lessons?  Music lessons paired with an instrument would be a pretty exciting gift (if she would be into it of course!).  Or something exciting and somewhat unusual like circus classes.  You get the idea.... something that she'd be into, lol!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another thought for a "wow" gift... what about something exciting for playing outside (if you have the room for it), like a zipline, trampoline or tree house or something like that. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>Oooh... I had another thought.... what about a "beginner's" sewing machine.  My friend got this tiny portable one that she finds a little too underpowered for most of her projects, but she is holding onto it to give to the kids when they get older to use as a learner's machine.  I believe she got it at Sears and it wasn't too pricey.  I could find out more info if you're interested.</p>

·
Registered
70 Posts
<p>My 7.5 yr old really wants a camera this year. So that is what she is getting, a simple "grown-up" camera. Hopefully under $100.</p>

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
<p>We are watching for a sale on a mini video camera for dd; that would be her *wow* gift. She also likes LPS, so we will get a couple of those, but not one of the huge sets she's been eyeballing. I also saw a Robert Sabuda pop up book on sale and dd loves those. Dh will probably pick out a wii or ds game for her also, maybe Pokemon. Not my favorite lol, but that is what she will like.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts