Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have some time before Xmas but I always like to start thinking (or buying) early. So I have 2 questions to ask.

1. How much do you buy for your child at Christmas time?

My daughter is only 2.5. I don't go too crazy at Christmas since I know she doesn't even really know what's going on.. PLUS she has plenty of toys from others (since she is an only grandchild on one side) and she hardly plays with any. She'd rather play with things we have around the house.
Last year we got her a lot of books, some wooden toys (car, airplane, etc) and a few other things. We dont' buy her many other toys throughout the year.. something for her b-day but I don't buy lots of stuff in between. I want to continuously keep things somewhat simple.. don't want to create a child that "wants" a lot of material things.

2. What are some ideas for toddler gifts?

We have lots of big things already.. a play kitchen, sand/water table, sandbox, playhouse for outside, an easel (meanwhile these are ALL gifts from others) and lots of the basic wooden toys.
My thoughts for this Christmas so far.. a "hippity-hop" (she loves jumping), matching puzzle game, and maybe a vacuum and iron/mixer, etc. since she likes helping me in the kitchen. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Melissa

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I only want to get a few gifts for the kids so it is not overwhelming.

I am currently thinking of a Schoenhut small piano, a Remo drum and/or musical instruments, and some bathtub paints I can make at home (maybe that won't be a gift). I also have some Holztiger animals to give them.

I got both my boys stockings (ages 1 and 3) off Ebay. The first arrive and it's HUGE. I'm not sure if I want to fill it up all the way, but probably will do coloring books, etc.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
We only give 5 gifts:

Something from Santa
Something you want
Something you need
Something to play with
Something to read

But I'm stumped on WHAT to get this year for your 3 yr old. I'll be watching this thread for inspiration.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
We do three gifts plus stockings.

One pair of new jammies for Christmas Eve, one book, and one item (toys, needed clothes, etc).

Stockings usually include a toothbrush, healthy chocolate, small hair things, gloves, stickers, etc
dd will probably get fingernail polish as she's really into it this year.

My inlaws always buy lots of toys that the kids love so they aren't missing out.

Bless my parents for asking us what we want them to have and buying practical items (while they are still young enough to get away with being exicted about new sheets). My aunts do the same and usually send money for clothes.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
ALL chocolate is healthy chocolate.

We usually get the kids 1 big thing to share and a couple of smaller things. This year I think we're getting one of those trampolines with the handle...they will both love that, especially DD2. Not sure about the other stuff yet.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We keep Christmas low-key, too. My mom has instructions to send books and my mother in law *always* asks what he needs, bless her! We do, however, have to keep his godmothers under control and impose limits with them! That said, he does get new toys every once in a while. We just don't make a big deal about it.

This year, I think he's getting a sleeping bag from grandma & grandpa (I made up a bedtime story that involved sleeping bags while we were visiting them and he was obsessed! "Where's MY leeping bag?"). His godmothers will probably get him clothes and some other toy. From us, a few books and something special.

One thing I'd love to get him is this cool bike:

http://shop.sproutsoup.com/toddler-bike.cfm

It's a wooden toddler bike that they peddle with their feet. I've seen kids in the park with them and they just love them.

Other ideas:

-A tea set (we just bought play dishes: I want to play at eating with him to encourage him to sit longer at the table and eat more!)
-A hobby horse (it was the godmother gift from last year)
-A chalk board
-An old suitcase full of dress-up clothes
-A tool box
-A child-size chef's apron, hat and oven set (I don't know where we got ours, but ds puts them on when dp and he make pancakes on week-ends! Too cute!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
We found a bike at Target that mimicks the Skuut bikes, but we missed the closeout price, and found it on eBay, still in the box, for under $40 (less than 1/2 of a Skuut). It is wooden and seems good quality, sturdy, etc. It takes minimal assembly and we were able to hide it in a closet until the holidays. We're excited about our 2 yr. old trying it out b/c we figure biking is all about balance, and this bike gently teaches him that. It should be fun!

·
Registered
204 Posts
we probably buy too much for ds, but we are trying to scale back some this year.

he's getting some books, a wooden noah's ark set (he loves animals right now) and some more pieces for his train track.

he'll probably get some other things that i make him, etc, but that's going to be the bulk of it.

fwiw, he LOVES his wooden trainset that we got him at ikea. he got it for his birthday in may, and has probably gotten more mileage from it than any other toy ever. we originally got him 2 sets, which equaled A LOT of tracks and cars for around $25. we are giving him a couple of accessory sets for christmas. i think they were between $8 and $10 each. just a thought for anyone looking for a nice, relatively inexpensive, wooden toy with no batteries, etc.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
We are incredibly minimalist about birthdays in our house, and we always go overboard every Christmas on purpose. Its just our "thing". I dont really like holidays where one kid gets gifts and nobody else does so we generally do maybe 2 items for the child on their birthday (or 1 larger) and just have fun as a family celebrating our family, if that makes sense.

For Christmas, we make presents/buy presents/bake galore/cook a great dinner/etc. When the kids get up on Christmas morning it always looks like they hit the lottery. I know it is deplorable to some, but that time before all the presents were open, with lots of boxes and glistening tinsel and bright varied wrapping paper was the best time of my year, every year as a kid. Even better than the things inside the boxes. So we try very hard to "fill the tree" but with my parents' help of course.

This is my idea list for DD this year. She wont get all of this...maybe half and we'll give my parents the list as well for them to shop from (and will get one or maybe two things off of it for her birthday next week instead)... I just like to keep an eye out for what she finds interest in during the months prior to shopping. We just spend what we have at the time and when its gone, its gone...sometimes thats $30 a child and sometimes its $150 a child.

fridge magnets
bath toys
puzzles
art supplies
some sort of dolly/play house accessories (she loves folding and stealing kitchen utensils and putting blankets on her dollies etc)
dolly "like a baby" so when momma takes care of baby she can take care of dolly (lil sis due next week)
cute slippers (w/ dollies or stuffed animals on them)
sneakers
musical instrument/drums
Gerald McBoingBoing dvd
something to ride/bounce on
dress up clothes
handmade - felt balls and something to put them in
handmade - handmade waldorf doll, slippers
handmade - princess hat
handmade - handmade xmas stocking

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
On Christmas morning, my children only get one big present from us. I'm an only child so my mom spoils them with a bunch of little gifts, much to my husbands disliking.

We don't do Santa but we do St. Nicholas Day on December 6 and the kids get two small gifts on that day (this year they are each getting a Catholic music CD and a children's Rosary.)

This year, the children are both getting a train table (even though the babe will only be 10 months old!) to share. Last year, dd got a kitchen. Who knows what we'll get them next year!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
We don't have specific rules about the number of gifts, but typically it's:

*stocking (small trinkets -- a couple of trains, bubbles, a little candy, etc.)
*present from Santa (last year he asked for a hockey stick and puck, this year he's been talking about a teeball set)
*largish present from us (last year it was an easel, this year it'll be a sand/water table)
*a few books from us

Our extended family spoils him with toys, clothes, and books, so we don't get too much to try not to overwhelm him (and our house) with too many new toys.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
We keep it low key within our family, but the grandparents dont always follow suit. We have a wish list with some good stuff on it, hopefully they use that instead of going to Toys R Us. This year DH is making DS a rocking horse, and I am knitting a sweater. We'll probably do a few little stocking stuffer things. He also gets a Hannukah gift.

Gift Ideas: Of course I think a custom super cape is the coolest gift ever, but I'm partial because I make and sell them.
Dress up in general is fun. Books, cook books and cooking utensils, aprons, wooden trucks, boats, etc. musical instruments, a tricycle or glider bike, more books, maybe a Blues Clues video.
:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
Gift Ideas: Of course I think a custom super cape is the coolest gift ever, but I'm partial because I make and sell them.
:
I thought the super capes were a cool idea too - my sister asked me to make one for my nephew, and I made them for both he and my son. And they turned out so cute! And my son has never once put it on. He hates it around his neck. Maybe I can change the neck somehow.

Anyway, I have been using looking at everyone's list because I am composing one for ds, in case anyone asks what he wants/needs. I have gotten hime a puzzle and a couple of trains and the rest of his list is

new pajamas (definitely needed, we are down to one pair)
new snow shoes
maybe other winter clothes
play food (maybe I will make some?)
oscar the grouch puppet (he has been wanting one a long time)
more puzzles, he has outgrown all but one

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Momandoliver- That's how I started making them, last Christmas for my nephews (who have EVERYTHING) and they turned out so cute friends wanted to buy them, so I kept making them. I have seen them made with the straps going around the arms (like you would put on fairy wings)- your son might like that better...

Back to other gifts, I think a magazine subscription is a cool idea, I can't think of any of the toddler ones right now. That probably wouldn't be very exciting to open on Christmas morning, though!

Wooden trains... we might have to go with that this year. Max is obsessed with trains.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It's kinda funny reading everyone's ideas of simple. I feel like we are downright stark by comparison!
: We only give one gift per holiday (birthday or Christmas). All of the extended family is also asked to only give one gift. Usually they all ask me what he wants/needs so I can ask for nicer items that fulfill their budgets. Otherwise, they can donate to his college funds or buy a season pass to the zoo, etc. Our house is really small with NO storage space so that is one reason I'm so strict. I've also noticed that he plays better when there are less choices to make.

That said, this is what we've asked for/are giving:
-playsilks (I'm making)
-wooden train set
-hand drum (a small djembe)
-small guitar
-small piano
-books
-clothes

And it still seems like a lot to me! I guess it's all perspective

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, all these great gift ideas are going to have me going overboard! THe one thing I'd like to add is something we got DD last Easter. For the life of me, I can't remember the catalog, but it was $15, and it was a pretty satin round purse-like bag FULL of dress-up jewelry, MOST of which was not choke hazardous (we have a ds, 1yr old). My dd, to this day, brings it everywhere! Great gift for those girlie girls!!! Safe too, no lead, very sweet.

Gita

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
We do three gifts - if that was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for our kids.

Of course, then we add a gift from us, and we also do stockings. We also try to do one gift for the whole family, and we do new pajamas for Christmas Eve. And whatever the grandparents send.

Last year, Taylor was about 18 months old, and she got big Duplo blocks, a musical instrument set (maracas, tambourine, xylophone, all packaged together, so it counted as one gift), and a babydoll nursery set. Her stocking had a couple of books, a small slinky, and some beach toys.

This year, she'll be 2 1/2, but she's already gotten a lot of stuff this year because of everything she's gone through, so it'll most likely be a light Christmas. I haven't really firmly decided, but some of the things I'm thinking about (and a lot of this stuff is not along the NFL line) - Little People (she LOVES her Little People stuff), wooden blocks, and some plush toys. (I watch the Disney Store sales during the year, so we are good on plush toys for the next few holidays.) She had a great time playing with a little fishing game at my psychologist's office, so I've been on the lookout for something similar. I'm pretty sure my dad is getting her a Leap Pad. I've also been looking for anything related to JoJo's Circus, her favorite show...it's hard to find "stuff" with characters from the show though. I spent $4 on a set of JoJo's circus 'action figures' for her a few months ago, and they have been the subject of HOURS of fun.

In her stocking, I've already gotten colored pencils and markers and fingerpaint (she's gotten big into drawing and painting and arty stuff), little sunglasses, bath toys, bubble bath, a couple of books, things like that.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey, Melissa, I guess we do the opposite of you. We pick up DS a new toy every couple of months or so and I used to buy him books but he has plenty now. PLus people keep giving them to us because they know we love to read. So when it comes to Christmas I end up feeling like he doesn't need anything. At his first Christmas he was around 6 mos. and we spent around $25 on just a couple of things. At his second Christmas he was around 18 mos. and we spent about $50 on a riding toy I fell in love with, and I think a wooden stacking toy for less than $15. I have no idea what we'll do this year since I think he has plenty. Maybe I should buy some fabric and make him a quilt for his new twin size bed. I have 2 1/2 mos. to finish it, right?
I can piece it all together in a weekend but if I do the hand quilting, it will take me that long to get it done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its Adams birthday Boxing day (is that even a holiday in the states - 26th December) so he gets all his presents once a year. We're planning a toy kitchen (dps a kitchen manager so he wants a cooker like daddy), a bike (I want to get a wooden balance one dp wants to go for stabilisers and peddles), some arts and craft stuff, fuzzy felt and musical instruments.

Last year we got him scooter, a hobby horse, a wooden crane/shape sorter, some mini baking equiptment, a painting easel and paints etc and a big fire engine. We also ordered something called a Bilibo but it didnt arrive in time so he got it later - its fab though and will provide him with opportunities to play for many years to come as its so versatile ( i quite enjoy spinning on it too - really walks your calve muscles lol).

http://www.bilibo.com/en/intro/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.