Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Christmas is also the BIG Czech holiday. And the 6th is St. Nicholas Day, when stockings are stuffed with small gifts. The tradition is that St. Nicholas with an angel and a devil comes to ask the kids if they've been good and deserve gifts, and the devil is supposed to scare them. I really hate this tradition, I think scaring kids into fessing up if they've been good is really stupid. My DH remembers being terrified and hiding under his bed until St. Nicholas left, and then MIL had to coax him out from hiding with chocolate, LOL.

The 24th is the main event, with a big dinner and presents afterwards. Children are told that Baby Jesus brings the present. The meal is fish soup, fried fish and potato salad, appel strudel for desert. The fish is carp and before Christmas, vendors sell and butcher carp all over the city. Lots of people go to midnight mass. There are Christmas markets all over the place. Some of the craft thet sell are really nice, but alot of the stuff is just kitsch. And lots of booze of course (mull wine especially)

The 25th there is usually turkey for lunch. Most stores are closed, but lots of businesses are open on the 24th. The 26th is St. Stephens day, but nobody celebrates that anymore.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts