Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with Christmas around the corner, DH and I are trying to decide if we want to travel to our families' homes this Christmas or just stay at our house and have them visit. First family to visit lives about 3.5 hours away and the other would be 2.5 hours away from them. DD is 4.5 mos old, EBF, and we co-sleep. So, my questions would be:

1.) Is it unreasonable to expect to travel 3.5 hours with a young baby? Even if we factor in stops for eating, is this still too much car-time?
2.) What do you do about co-sleeping at another's home? What would I need to bring or what precautions would I need to make?
3.) What about BF'ing? I've only ever BF'd DD here at our house and in public. She's always so distracted in public. Would the same go for someone else's house?

Any other hints/suggestions/insights you could offer would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
1.) Is it unreasonable to expect to travel 3.5 hours with a young baby? Even if we factor in stops for eating, is this still too much car-time?

We did 6 for Thanksgiving and DD slept most of it. We stopped to feed her when she got fussy and she passed right back out. So I don't think 3.5 hours is too long.

2.) What do you do about co-sleeping at another's home? What would I need to bring or what precautions would I need to make?

At my parents we push two twin mattresses together on the floor and sleep there. It's worked great so far. At my MIL's we just sleep on blankets on the floor and that worked ok, we just didn't sleep very well b/c the floor was so hard.

3.) What about BF'ing? I've only ever BF'd DD here at our house and in public. She's always so distracted in public. Would the same go for someone else's house?

DD did fine when we were at other people's houses if there wasn't a lot of people. The minute more than 5 people are in a room or it gets really loud she's too wound up to nurse. I had to take her into another room to get her to nurse and on a walk outside to get her to sleep.

I hope all goes well for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since we just did the Thanksgiving holidays with a 6 mo. old I thought I'd post a little about our experience.

We drove 13 hours to NY when he was 5 weeks old-- this was easy for us and for him..he slept almost the entire time. The big thing is that we let him determine our schedule. Anytime he need to stop and BF or just take a break we did. The same goes for our recent trip when he was 6 mo. I do think we can't do that anymore after that last trip-- but as long as we were aware of his signals he did great. Now 3 or 4 hours would be a cinch! The things that kept him busy in the car when he was awake were 'new' toys...borrowed from my sister-in-law and lots of books. We also sing a lot in the car! He LOVES THAT! I think ultimately trips like this build the foundation for a flexible, adaptable person--which is a goal of ours.

Finally, I can't comment on co-sleeping, but nursing was easy for us at my in-laws house. I would take Noah to another room and nurse him where he could concentrate. The time away from everyone was necessary for both of us and provided a centered place where we could reconnect during a time when he was receiving lots of stimulation.

Best of luck!
If you go it could be a great experience...but don't be afraid to ask them to come to you! You have a good reason to want to stay put!

Megan

·
Registered
721 Posts
we traveled alot with dd during her first year, starting at just a few weeks old. she did so well in the car and to this day (all of 23 months) is great when traveling. we are flying and driving this year for christmas and ds is 6 weeks old...so i was just looking for ideas

cosleeping and breastfeeding make travel so easy! i would say have some very leak proof diapers for cosleeping and use an old towel under just to make sure. (washing sheets is not fun over holidays). also, pack light. i got so tired of lugging around a ton of stuff we never used. a few dry diapers, some clothes and a couple books and we are good to go.

dd LOVES finger play (basically rhyms/songs with mactions and signs) so i am learnign lots of new ones for travel. its the perfect toy - nothing to lose or carry. i think even a small baby would enjoy the intereaction of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.