Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has had a cough for over 2 months now. During this time, she has had a cold come and go, but her cough persists.

After a month and a half, she went on anti-biotics for 5 days. The cough went away for the duration of the meds and came right back. Actually, it came back as croup and now is what my dr. calls a virus again.
:

Anyway...now she has prescribed 2 types of asthma medicine....to which I am reeling....granted, I know nothing about asthma, but it doesn't run in our family at all and she has never had a cough in her life and now she might have asthma???

So, I am feeling really overwhelmed b/c I don't even know where to begin to research what to do.

I'm hoping someone has some homeopathic remedy I can try for the cough before starting to look into allergies/asthma...

·
Registered
946 Posts
ds had a chronic cough.

these things helped:

eliminating wheat from his diet
getting encasings for our pillows and comforters
sulphur something homeopathic from our ped.

Good lucK!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may sound completely ingonorant....

but if she has never had a problem with wheat, would it just show up after almost 1.5 years?

If I wanted to check it, would I just elmininate it for 2 weeks or so and check?

What are pillow/comforter ecasings?

Thank you so much for your time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't know about the wheat thing showing up at 1.5, but that doesn't sound that odd to me. I think a low grade allergy can easily go unnoticed for a while and take a while for symptoms to build. May be a different food thing though. Or not at all! If you do elimination, you probably want to aim for a month or so. Check out the allergy forum too...

And here is a link with pillow and other encasings here:
http://www.natlallergy.com

may not be allergies at all, but in my experience with ds, it was.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
DD/2.5 is just getting over Croup (and now I think the baby has it
: ) and we were sent home with a nebulizer and asthma meds, as well. She also got a steroid shot to help open the air passage. It's not that they think she has asthma, it's my understanding that Croup restricts the airways and the asthma meds open up the air passages.

Is she having and Stridor (serious breathing difficulties)? My DD had a lot of Stridor (her breathgin was SO LOUD) and that's why all those meds (esp the shot) were needed.

Everything our ped told me matched up with info I found online about treating Croup. None of it is very fun, but DD has snapped back pretty quickly. Her fever is gone and the cough is much better (just 2 days after seeing the doc), and her breathing is nearly silent again. I found this dr sears article to be helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts