Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mom is always dehydrated. she never ever drinks. she has a small cup of juice in the AM and a cup of coffee. and that's it. she sips water at lunch and will have another cup of coffee in the afternoon and sips water a dinner.

her lips are always cracked, her mouth dry. i can tell she is dehydrated because she will start coughing when she talks because her throat is so dry. the dentist even gave her some "artificial saliva" to use.

i gave her one of those big insulated cups from the hospital that has the ounces marked on the side. and told her to try and drink a quart of water a day. but she'll only drink a few ounces.

does anyone have any ideas for helping her? i think maybe there isn't anything i can do, she is nearly 80 and really stubborn.
but i'd like to help somehow.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
It does seem to be a problem with elderly people. The only thing you can do is make her drink while you are there. If you give her salty food to make her thirsty, it may just dehydrate her more.

Sorry, no help really. I see it in old people often that they just don't drink at all or very little.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I take care of my 86 year old MIL and she also does not drink enough.
We go shopping together and we search the produce section for fruits that she will love. She picks them out and that way she always eats them. She hates wasting money so she does eat them.
She loves watermelon, cantelope, apricots, tomato, carrots, grapes and cherries. All of these have water in them. Outside of asking her if she has eaten and drank, there really is'nt much more I can do.
Food does contain water so that will help.
Also, maybe a straw will help. My MIL hand shakes alot and she's afraid of spilling.
Oh and sorbet, ices, ice-cream.
I don't know about your mom but my MIL says if she drinks too much she has to "go" too much and that seems to annoy her.
You're doing the best you can. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Has her doctor encouraged her to drink? Lots of times saying, "Remember, your doctor said you need to be sure to drink enough," may hold more weight than just if the grown child of an elderly person says it.

The pp who suggested bladder issues may be onto something, too. My mom is 83 and she has to use the bathroom fairly frequently and also has some prolapse issues which can make her uncomfortable. Having a full bladder might exacerbate the uncomfortableness of prolapse if your mom has that, too. It's very common in older women, and surprisingly common after childbirth in younger women, too. There's a whole tribe on MDC here. There are non-surgical non-pharmaceutical things you can do to help with that, though, if that's her issue. Of course, there's all those prescription bladder control drugs, too.

Maybe if you make a list of all the bad things that dehydration can cause it would help the cause.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gotta tell, ya... if i told my mom "the doctor said you have to drink more" she'd say "yeah, he told me not to eat BBQ ribs and gamble so much either." and then she'd laugh at me!
:

my mom might be 79, but she is hardly elderly... the woman has the busiest social schedule i have ever seen!

she doesn't have prolapse, she doesn't have a womb anymore! (and she never had babies, i'm adopted)

as far as i can tell this has been going on a long time... years and years...

i nag her when i see her, but i don't see her a whole lot. right now she is in florida with her ill sister. i worry because she has gotten sick in florida in the past from the heat and not drinking fluids. once she ended up in the hosp. on IV fluids.

oh well, i guess i'll just call her and remind her to eat food with high moisture content and drink drink drink... (course she'll say "i drank a lot!" and it's like 3 ounces!)

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Well, I guess you could remind her of that time she ended up in the hospital then! Other than that it's really lead a horse to water and all that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a book called You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

It's Helped me convince my dehydrated Dh to drink a lot more water! The book is full of great info!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe i will buy that for her, since she is a huge reader. (read a novel a day usually)

THANKS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts