Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 yr. old DD is allergic to dogs and dust mites and is on allergy meds, mostly for the dust mites (much stronger allergy than the dogs). The issue now is that she still gets headaches frequently even on the meds. They are not migraines, just low-level headaches that happen sometimes several times per week.

I am hoping that the solution is something simple like the extra dust mite exposure from carpet at school (we have hardwood floors and shades rather than curtains at home), which is fortunately getting ripped out and replaced with flooring this summer. Her classroom also had a couch and pillows.

For now, the allergist has suggested keeping a log of foods to see if artificial colors or sweeteners are causing this, or maybe a particular food, like chocolate. Has anyone had success with a diet like Feingold or the low-tyramine headache diet? Sadly, the latter one has just about every one of her favorite foods on the "avoid" list!

Another suggestion the doc made today was eventually doing a trial to cut out dairy to see if she is lactose intolerant, but we will wait on that until we've tried the general food log. A few of DH's siblings are lactose intolerant.

We are also keeping an open mind about gluten, since a few members of DH's family also have celiac disease or gluten intolerance (not necessarily the same ones as are lactose intolerant). DD has tested negative on the celiac blood test, although I know that that can be inaccurate.

Just hoping someone might have had a similar experience of low-level headache symptoms and was able to put the puzzle pieces together!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips - there are a few suggestions you made that I hadn't thought of. Stuffed animals in the room are a bone of contention we might have to remove also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.