Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my mil tonight (I should know better, lol) and she said she read an article that said the circ rates are increasing as teenage boys demand the procedure be done. She said she read it yesterday on either CNN.com or MSNBC.com, but I can't find anything about it on either website.

I did comment that a teenage boy could make the decision to have the procedure done himself and at least then it would be informed consent. She didn't have much to say after that, lol.

Oh, she also told me that two of her three sons thanked her for having them circ'ed. I'll have to ask dh if he's one of them.

Has anyone seen the article she's talking about? I would love to read it.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I think your MIL is full of bologna. I know the circ rates here are decreasing. We are now below 50% YAY! Still way too high...but they are going down slowly but surely.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I wish that that statistic was true in the daycare I work at... only two of the boys are intact... makes me so sad to change the diapers of the cut ones.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hi Angela, in B.C. the rate is actually about 12%, thank goodness! We're going to get that down to zero in the next 6 mos. Baybee

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Honestly with all the false medical advice out there and the foreskin fear I hear about so much it wouldnt surprise me if circ was on the rise in older children
Some days it seems for every infact foreskin we save 2 more are lost on older kids.
:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figure she's full of something, too, but bologna isn't the word I would use.

I'm going to e-mail her and ask her to send me a link to the story -- it will be interesting to see if she does.

This is certainly not the only thing we don't see eye to eye on, but it is the most heated.

I asked dh too if he had ever thanked his mom. He said no.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I maybe know 2 people who circ'd their boys so the rate certainly isn't going up around here and the closest hospitals don't perform them either

love and peace.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I really do want some statistics...

It strikes me as odd that over the past two years there have been no stats released about the number of circumcisions but two studies "Showing" circumcision causes a 60% decrease in HIV transmission and another one which "Shows" that this means millions of lives could be saved if every man was circumcised. Meanwhile the American rate has probably fallen below 50%.

Seems awfully convenient.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Why do they want it done? It sounds so odd. No teenager would want to get circumcised here ... is it just a cultural thingy? Or aren't boys educated about normal genitals? Aren't girls educated?

So sad.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
i think it is all this stuff about africa and encouraging circing there that has people more convinced they should do it. i have seen articles about the circ rate increasing in africa, but haven't seen anything about here (us or canada either for that matter...)

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I had one friend (from South Africa) get circumcised because his girlfriend told him she wanted him to and then she dumped him a week later. I have many more guy friends who are very anti-circumcision, both intact and not. I have never known another intact man/boy who wanted to be circumcised other than that one friend (who regrets it of course since he didn't do it for HIM
: ).

I'm totally in favor of men being able to decide to be circumcised after the age of 18 (my friend was 19). He needs to make an informed decision and be doing the procedure for himself, NOT to please someone else. Just like getting breast implants, a woman needs to make that decision for herself and not because her husband/boyfriend/anyone else wants her to.

It's totally not a coincidence that all these inaccurate studies are being touted at the same time the US rate is getting so low
I hate that everyone just takes the news for face value because it must be right, it was on the news...

love and peace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts