Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
I feel silly but I wonder is cloudy pee for a 4 year old normal. My ds has no fever but seems to have chronically cloudy pee and often has a bit of redness on the tip of his penis. He is intact and his doctor has seen his red tip and seems unbothered by it (it has been stretching a lot with frequent erections!) but I recently noticed that he often has cloudy pee. I worry that it is the sign of some chronic infection but he seems fine. I am sure it is ok but just wondered. Thanks for your help. Jani

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just googled "cloudy urine" and apparently there are a lot of things that can cause cloudy urine, including infection.<br><br>
That being said, one reason for cloudy or milky looking urine in an intact boy could be that the urine is washing out, from underneath the foreskin, some of the cells that are shed in the process of the foreskin separating from from the glans (also know as baby smegma).<br><br>
I would think that as long as he doesn't have other symptoms (pain, fever, excessive redness, swelling), and it is an occasional and transitory phenomenon, that it would probably be all right. If it's all the time or other symptoms are present, personally I'd probably have it checked out.<br><br>
Might also consider dehydration, but that might make the urine darker, more concentrated, not simply cloudy. Make sure he's getting enough fluids.<br><br>
Gillian

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I think it probably has something to do with his diet. Maybe a lot of calcium or other minerals? I don't believe cloudy pee is a problem by itself.<br><br>
Hold your fingertip up to your inner wrist. See how much redder your finger is? More sensitive skin has more blood flow. It is also normal for the tip of the foreskin and glans to be redder than the rest of the penis.<br><br>
If he had an infection, he would be outwardly sick with other symptoms like fever, pain/burning with urination, and frequent urination with only a little pee coming out.<br><br>
It doesn't sound like you need to worry about anything!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I have noticed my ds1 having cloudy be sometimes, it was never w/ any signs of infection either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you all! Since he doesn't have any other symptoms I will not worry about it. I do think he sometimes could drink more fluids so I will see if that works!<br><br>
Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts