Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Intactivists! This is my first time posting over here. Just wanted to share a sad situation I recently learned about and see if any of you have heard of this kind of a problem before.

My BIL recently told us that our 5yo nephew wets his pants every day and that this is because "something went wrong with his circumcision" when he was an infant. Apparently he has difficulty sensing when he need to pee because of the botched circumcision. Has anyone heard of circing causing this kind of a problem? One thing that seems a little weird about it is that to me it seems like it's a full bladder that tells me that I need to go, rather than a sensation in my urethra. But mayba it's both. Plus, maybe it's different for males than females.

Amazingly, BIL and SIL decided to circ their baby boy who was born this past summer. Now I am kicking myself for not saying anything before their younger son was born (I didn't know them when the 5 yo was born). We are not very close, but I wish I had tried to find a way to say something.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There is little documentation of the neurological damage of circumcision. In men there are two signals of the need to urinate, the full bladder feeling and a feeling in the urethra. They can come together or independently. I can imagine that if the urethra was damaged in a botched circumcision, it could affect the nerves that would send the signal to the brain but I have never seen any research on this particular problem.

Neurological problems that would cause this are usually not treatable and the boy may end up having to wear a urine collection bag to avoid this very embarassing situation. That would be so sad! I can imagine he will become a very committed man against circumcision who will be denied empathy for his circumcision induced problem. The rarity of this complication will not matter to him because for him, it will be the same as 100% for something that was only a purely cosmetic procedure.

Frank

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Frank,

I've always found neurology very interesting. Are there any books or articles you could recommend so I could read more about this?

~Nay

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There used to be a very good site about all aspects of penile anatomy that was done for medical students. It was more detailed than what most people could comprehend and it got into the nerves in the penis in some detail. Unfortunately, it is no longer available. I would guess the best source of this type of information would be in medical text books. Is there a medical school in your area where you could go to their library?

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.