Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
I'm certainly in that category, Being from Eastern Europe originally, nudity was quite an everyday thing around family and friends as most of us lived in single room apartments and in the day swimsuits and public restrooms were rare. As such, I as well as every female grew up seeing boys and men's penises on a regular basis and in Eastern Europe circumcision was almost unheard of. In my late twenties I met my now husband a circumcised American. I was quite surprised and intrigued by it and I soon found that I was not alone. After a couple friends and family members came to notice, he became quite the subject of gossip and I the subject of much envy. All the ladies found it to be chick. As we spend much time in Europe, I wanted my boys to have that advantage as well.

· Registered
96 Posts
I'm certainly in that category, Being from Eastern Europe originally, nudity was quite an everyday thing around family and friends as most of us lived in single room apartments and in the day swimsuits and public restrooms were rare. As such, I as well as every female grew up seeing boys and men's penises on a regular basis and in Eastern Europe circumcision was almost unheard of. In my late twenties I met my now husband a circumcised American. I was quite surprised and intrigued by it and I soon found that I was not alone. After a couple friends and family members came to notice, he became quite the subject of gossip and I the subject of much envy. All the ladies found it to be chick. As we spend much time in Europe, I wanted my boys to have that advantage as well.
Never underestimate the power of uniqueness :)

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So basically you did it so they'd stand out?
How old are they now?
Has it come up in conversation?
Any social issues there being different?

What was the reaction with the medical staff when you wanted it done?

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Older son circumcised.
For some reason all most all foster kids are circumcised
I wonder why circumcision is so common in the foster community.

I've had a theory for a while that some of circumcision is due to financial reasons. Obviously, rich and poor parents do and don't circumcise...but I suspect that well-to-do parents are more likely to leave their kids intact. Kids who grow up in the urban poor areas (what used to be called "the projects") or areas like inner city public housing....those kids are probably mostly circumcised.

And I'm sure a lot of them give their kids up to adoption.

The "financial situation" of the parents is merely one piece of the "did they or didn't they circumcise" puzzle.

· Super Moderator
2 boys and foster kids
93 Posts
So are state medcare pays for circumcision I think most of the time the parents just don't know any better and it done befor the baby leaves the hospital. A lot of time the mother out of it and it just done. Circumcision done in this state because it just been that why. And the boy most match the father is strong here. Hoping some day they cut the funding for circumcision

· Registered
442 Posts
I'm just curious if anyone here runs counter to the board's general mindset where you had your son(s) circumcised and you don't regret it.
It's important to note that child circumcision outcomes are obscenely haphazard, and anyone considering it for a family member should study this NSFW gallery: Photo Gallery 1 for the Global Survey of Circumcision Harm One person's lack of regret does not delegitimize another person's utter anguish about what was needlessly forced upon him.

And it goes without saying that any irreversible choice made today about a healthy normal child is dramatically inferior to the decision that same child could make later about himself as an informed adult, based in the best technology and fashion info then available. The circumcision rate in the US is dropping, close to 50/50, but worldwide over 90% of babies are left intact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts