Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an article about a study on circumcision w/o anesthetics. It was halted due to the torture it put babies through:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9712/23/ci...on.anesthetic/

If they stopped this study due to the horror it inflicted on the infants, how come circumcisions are still done without pain relief? How come there is no ban on circumcisions w/o anetshetics?

Of course this also begs the question of how a study like this could be ethical to begin with (and what mothers were willing to subject their babies to it), but then I'm not surprised given the fact this goes on on a daily basis in hospitals all over the country.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Is it illegal to perform surgery on adults without pain relief? I have no idea.

I think more are done without anaesthetic than we know, given the amount of people I've heard say their baby was back with them in 5 minutes - no time for any pain relief to take effect before they start cutting

·
Registered
391 Posts
From the article you posted

Up to 96 percent of the babies in the United States and Canada receive no anesthesia when they are circumcised, according to a report from the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire and Boys View Post

I think more are done without anaesthetic than we know, given the amount of people I've heard say their baby was back with them in 5 minutes - no time for any pain relief to take effect before they start cutting

That is exactly right...of course, the babies are quietly in shock when they return to their mothers...uggghhhh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.