Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they are horrifying but I understand some people actually like them.

In case you are not from the US, they are:

peanut shaped
soft when fresh, hard when stale and some prefer them stale
gritty in texture when eaten
pale orange
banana flavored
the size of a human thumb

Invented in the 19th century as a penny candy, available in bags since at least the 1940s.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
They are gross! My mom and brother LOVE them and I remember as a kid trying them every time my mom bought a bag because they liked them so much I figured I must be missing something. And every time

btw- I never knew that they were suppose to be banana flavored.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
EWWW! My husband eats these things ALL THE TIME! I can't even kiss him after he eats them unless he brushes his teeth really well, the smell makes me gag.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a surprising amount of info on the web about this confectionary. Due to copyright constraints I cannnot cite it as much as I wish. Here is but a small sample:

Quote:
Dear Cecil:

I have never understood why Circus Peanuts (orange, gooey, diabetic coma-inducing, peanut-shaped candy) are still available. I have never known anyone who actually likes this candy and I have asked everyone I know. So, Cecil, can you give me a little information ...

Dear Margaret:

... Based on our informal survey, consumer reaction to Circus Peanuts falls into three categories:

(1) Fear and loathing. Sample comments: "Ewwwww! I tried one once. It was like eating a dead finger." "They taste like they're stale even when they're fresh." "Like orange-flavored Styrofoam." "I think they are the horror that is the circus, that flat tin taste of fear and clowns and little lost children amid the cotton candy stink and the piles of elephant doo-doo and the clamor of the midway and the tinny sound of the circus band endlessly wheezing its way through yet another soulless circus fanfare." You get the idea. My assistant Jane found that the few stray Circus Peanut molecules escaping from an unopened package made her gag.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelMel
I usually like skanky candy, but these are up there with candy corn for halloween. they absolutely are sickening.
:

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would most of us find them in a candy dish at Grandma's and out of mind-numbing boredom and self-loathing, eat them in desperation?

Tell me your stories of trauma! It will be therapeutic.

Myslef, I don't have any clear memories. I know I have tried them but I don't remember where or why. I think I have blocked it out. My Grandma had Kisses and M&Ms in her candy dish, so it wasn't her.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i think they are gross, along with candy corn, jelly beans and candy canes. :LOL

chocolate on the other hand, is a necessity!

My best friend growing up would buy them buy the bag and eat them as we drove around and sang and talked :LOL
I think she still loves them. <shudder>
reminds me of those hard marshmallowey egg shaped candies at Easter.

Amy

1 - 20 of 107 Posts