Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never heard of these before, but the rescue we are adopting our Redbone from uses it to control barking.

Thoughts? It sounds humane and like it works, but I am wondering if anyone has ever used them and if they really work?

Also, are they something I can get at the local pet store I wonder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
they sell them at most of the pet stores here, walmart even ha shtem i think.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
At the vet clinic I work at, the behvariorist thinks they really work well. She puts them on dogs that are being boarded who are barking alot and it seems to work. So far I've only seen them being used on 2 dogs but both dogs quited down pretty fast.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Our lab quickly learned that if she barked enough times in a row, it would use up the citronella so then she wouldn't worry about it anymore. We gave up after a few weeks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
APBTLuv - I dont mind the barking, we live in the country so there is no one to bother and it doesnt bother us.

This coonhound is actually not a big barker from what her foster mom says, but did say they use the citronella collar and it works really well with her. Her sister was much quieter, but was a jumper, although someone adopted her a few days ago.

I was just curious about the collar as I had never heard of it before.

We have a small hound who barks like crazy when anyone comes to the door, so we know how vocal hounds are in general (Used to have a Bassett that loved to bay at 2AM!!)

Shannon - Thanks, I was hoping to hear from you.
I had read that their effectivness depends on the dog, it works for some and not for others. I was rading about the penny-can also as a means of redirecting unwanted behavior, but wouldnt you need to carry it around with you to check the behavior right away?

CrunchyCate - I read that! Some dogs are smart enough to realize that if they barked a lot it just used it all up!!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I used it on one of my dogs and it didn't work. Well it might have worked but the dog got so freaked out that he just cowered and acted scared so I resold it on Ebay...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used it on my dogs. It was a success. As a matter of fact, I paid 140.00 in that neighborhood, and only had to use it 3X on each dog.

What I find is, you cannot let the dog know it is the collar that stops the barking. It will curtail nuisance barking but not regular communication. It is good to distinguish communication so the dog can still use his natural tendencies but at the same time not drive you nuts!

I actually never had to use mine, but I am keeping it for the next nuisance barker.....(however, I will avoid a breed that is a nuisance barker....)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts