Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very confused. All my research re: feeding dd (almost 6 months) says hold off on citrus, due to possible allergic reactions, etc. Yet my little bottle of Earth's Best smushed bananas lists citric acid & ascorbic acid as ingredients. What gives? Is there something else in the real citrus fruits that would cause the allergies?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That does seem strange doesn't it. I know it is supposed to the the acidity in fruit that makes it a problem for babies. Those ingredients are preservatives and keep the banana from turning brown. The only thing I can figure is that the amounts are small enough not to cause problems for the baby. I would imagine you don't need to worry about it - however, bananas are about the easiest baby food to make yourself. You don't need any equipment or anything. Just mash it up really good with a fork with a little water or breast milk to thin it out. Same with avocados.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do usually smash my own bananas (it seemed pretty silly to spend much money on prepared), but I bought a couple of jars just in case we were either out of fresh or travelling.<br><br>
Ironically, I've stopped feeding her any solids for a while, b/c it seemed like she wasn't sleeping as well since we started the bananas. So we've gone back to a liquid diet for now, and will try again in a month or so.<br><br>
It was funny the first time we gave her the jarred stuff, though--she definitely could taste the citrus, b/c she made a face & then gave a little shiver (the way you do when you have something sour & are getting used to it). Very cute.<br><br>
Your explanation seems the most probable, Cathe. I think I'll email Earth's Best to see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Just another word about bananas - they are pretty constipating which may be the problem of her not sleeping. Try avocado if you can get it - it's really easy for babies to digest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts