Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel a class difference between themself and their partner? When Dh and I first met, we were both poor college students. We were both working on degrees that had a wide range of outcomes money-wise. Well I took the low pay but save the world side and Dh went with the high power/decent $ side. I then became a SAHM. Most of my friends have been SAHM that usually have households making less than Dh, though with Dh pays a lot in child support, the $ was never an issue. Dh has recently taken on a new job and, as usual, most of his friends (male and female) don't have children, not suprising as it's a very demanding field. Some even have both partners working is the same field making alot of money.
Our current issue is Dh was all excited about trick-or-treating and encouraged dd to invite a friend. Well the friend dd picked will be with an older (50's) lady (co-parent situation) and Dh is now backing out.
I just feel that our lives are taking on such different paths. Dh's best friend is very crunchy, so am I, and when Dh is around him Dh really wants to be like him, but when Dh is around his co-workers, Dh is embarassed over crunchy things and is now coming home wanting things such as a personal theatre when I'm working on getting TV out of dd's life. I think we can compromise with a theatre in a basement.
Dh was a vegetarian for almost 10yrs and started eating meat during lunch with co-workers and now will even eat meat when by himself, though he wants me to hide it from dd and his best friend.
So long story short, is anyone else dealing with this?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
He sounds conflicted - pulled between different "worlds" and may be having a hard time being a bridge between them all. I'd give it a little time and on a peaceful day together (like a car ride with kids sleeping or a hiking trip or lazy day at home) ask him how he deals with the transitions between all the different 'worlds' he lives in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.